Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actually rear brake vibration was - Front end hum or vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:00 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actually rear brake vibration was - Front end hum or vibration??

Seems to happen when I am coming to a stop, or that is when I can hear it. I do not really feel it, but it sounds like a vibration. Clutch pull or release and/or brake pull or release does not seem to cause more or stop the noise. It does stop though when or before the bike stops and it does not happen every time. The only thing that I have not done recently in terms of maintence is the fall away adjustment ( I do not feel like I can do it, and only the dealer really does it so.......) Any ideas what this might be??? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Front end hum or vibration??

It's how I know I'm doing roughly 40mph. It happens for me around 42 or so in 4th just cruising.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:54 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Thats funny, but this is something new. With 43 K I would be used to it by now if it was just the way the bike is

Old 10-18-2006, 01:32 PM
trax123
Novice

I think it is when you apply the front brake. Mine does it to. Try stopping by only applying the rear break and see if it still does it. I think it is something normal in the front brake mechanisim.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14738/D988452937704E5CA46A11B7A6CC188D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Mike05
Tourer

I did a little maintenance one weekend. After taking a little trip around the block I noticed a humming or whirring sound that would start at about 30 or so MPH. Kind of a spooky sound like moaning or something but with a constant tone regardless of speed. It would continue on through the speed range until I had enough wind noise etc to drown it out. It would do it out of gear with the clutch pulled in or out. It would do it when using just the front brake or rear brake or both. It would continue until I slowed down to about 5 MPH. It was not in the front end as I would bounce it up and down in a effort to pin point where the sound was comming from. After concluding it was not the clutch, brakes, frontend or tires I decided to re-check the drive belt. Come to find out, I had tightened the drive belt a little too tight. Maybe a lot tight. I guess there was not enough slack for the vibrations to disipate so they were transfering through the drive train in the form of a sound. After letting the belt out a little the 'noise' went away. I never felt any vibration at any time, I just heard the sound.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Zmon
Advanced

Could be a wheel bearing in the front end. Would sound like a groaning noise, as stated "sound" you wouldn't feel much vibration and it should lessen as the bike slows down. Just food for thought!! Good luck with finding the problem.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:13 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Thanks Zmon wheel bearing may be it??? It is sort of a groaning sound... off to my manual to help me diagnose

Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Default Actually rear brake vibration - was Front end hum or vibration??

Recently had new works heavy duty shocks installed (love them)! and my mechanic friend who did the install heard the groan vibration that I was talking about here. By then I had also decided it was back brakes. We replaced the shoes and saw the old ones were worn on one side with a slight bit more wear in one area the rest of that pad. Noise went away for about 150 miles and now I am getting the same vibrations - any ideas what this might be??

My search on the forum yielded the following:
Same as with a car, disc brake noise is usually caused by a pad vibrating in the caliper. Take the pads out, clean with Brakleen, and assemble with Disc Brake Anti-Squeal (the blue goo).

What you think?

I also now have a front brake squeal - these pads are also fairly new????

Old 10-31-2006, 11:55 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Actually rear brake vibration - was Front end hum or vibration??

my front end does that but only when I turn corners, the tread that isnt used very much on the side makes the noise.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 AM
chops
Tourer
Default RE: Actually rear brake vibration - was Front end hum or vibration??

What type of pads are you using?

Maybe you need a higher quality pad, such as LRB Lyndall Racing Brakes.
They are very quiet pads, no squealing, don't mar the rotors as much and don't kick off dust as the HD pads do.

Sure you could have a bearing defective, but the sealed bearings are normally good for 100K+ miles.