Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
bostongreg
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution

I just put 16" Burly Apes on my heritage and had issues with the windshield hitting the bars. I like the windshield for the long road trips and didn't like the idea of pulling the bars back or changing my setup. I used the following to resolve this problem. I thought that there must be others that came across this and figured it may help someone so...

I had a buddy cut, drill and polish a couple pieces of stainless to extend the upper gromets the detachable windshield attaches to. Four 5/16" bolts and two spacers to offset the new extension and I can change it out in two minutes. It is clean and looks like it came with the bike. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-dscn0158.jpg   Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-dscn0159.jpg   Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-dscn0160.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by bostongreg:
McKishen (12-06-2019), pdbuzz (05-20-2018)
Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM
lanceo70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont like apes with windshields...but if I absolutely think I need some wind protection, I strap a roll bag in front..does the same thing.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got pics of the bike with the shield on?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 PM
XcellsHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool

I could use a set of those I'd like to push my Bars away a little more. How much u looking to make another set like that?

Attached Thumbnails Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-mdsbike.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That awesome, I need to do something like that for my King

Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,317 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Good idea, but won't that put the shield at a near 90 deg. angle? Bad air flow, allot of buffering?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Idea. How does the wind react to the windshield being pushed forward?

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Good idea, but won't that put the shield at a near 90 deg. angle? Bad air flow, allot of buffering?
That was the first thing that crossed my mind, then I would certainly worry about that mount pivoting out and making the top bracket hang loose. It needs to be at least triangulated.

Good in concept but I don't think I would be using that.

Another member here cut his windshield to go around his bars. Although I don't think I would do that either, it is another option.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bostongreg
I just put 16" Burly Apes on my heritage and had issues with the windshield hitting the bars. I like the windshield for the long road trips and didn't like the idea of pulling the bars back or changing my setup. I used the following to resolve this problem. I thought that there must be others that came across this and figured it may help someone so...

I had a buddy cut, drill and polish a couple pieces of stainless to extend the upper gromets the detachable windshield attaches to. Four 5/16" bolts and two spacers to offset the new extension and I can change it out in two minutes. It is clean and looks like it came with the bike. Good luck.
bostongreg, I did a similar thing to my Deluxe. I think I spaced the top bolts 1" and the bottom bolts 1/2". The problem with that is that the winshield now is more vertical and the wind doesnt flow over it as well. It works but not as good as stock position. I then wanted my apes rolled forward more but could not move the wind shield anymore forward. I cut the windshield around the bars in kind of a tomb stone design like the tail light. It looks ok plus I was able to roll the bars ahead. I dont run the windshield or any of the 2up stuff very often only on long trips or when it is f-ing cold out and when my wife rides with me.
Stone

Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-sdc11476.jpg

Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-sdc11484.jpg

Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-sdc11478.jpg

Attachment 178412

Attached Thumbnails Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-sdc11480.jpg   Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution-sdc11481.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
McKishen (12-21-2019)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by t stone
bostongreg, I did a similar thing to my Deluxe. I think I spaced the top bolts 1" and the bottom bolts 1/2". The problem with that is that the winshield now is more vertical and the wind doesnt flow over it as well. It works but not as good as stock position. I then wanted my apes rolled forward more but could not move the wind shield anymore forward. I cut the windshield around the bars in kind of a tomb stone design like the tail light. It looks ok plus I was able to roll the bars ahead. I dont run the windshield or any of the 2up stuff very often only on long trips or when it is f-ing cold out and when my wife rides with me.
Stone

Attachment 178408

Attachment 178410

Attachment 178411

Attachment 178412

At least from the photos you provided I think the shape of the windshield looks pretty good. If I didn't ride or didn't know any better I would have thought it was manufactured that way.

Quick Reply: Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution