Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
At least from the photos you provided I think the shape of the windshield looks pretty good. If I didn't ride or didn't know any better I would have thought it was manufactured that way.
Skeezmachine, Thanks. Its real easy to cut the windshield with a jig saw with a fine blade.
Stone

The following users liked this post:
McKishen (12-21-2019)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its even easier to remove and store the windshield in the trash can hahaahaha

Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Belly the Kid
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm unable to see the photos for some reason, but I cut a piece of plexi glass to lay across my apes. Works really well for long rides.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM
t stone
Road Master

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Its even easier to remove and store the windshield in the trash can hahaahaha
Bobber, I totally agree with you on that, but When my chick goes with me on long rides I seem to get layed more when shes happy and that = that ugly *** windshield being on my bike. That is the only time I run with the shield.
Stone

Old 09-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bostongreg
I just put 16" Burly Apes on my heritage and had issues with the windshield hitting the bars. I like the windshield for the long road trips and didn't like the idea of pulling the bars back or changing my setup. I used the following to resolve this problem. I thought that there must be others that came across this and figured it may help someone so...

I had a buddy cut, drill and polish a couple pieces of stainless to extend the upper gromets the detachable windshield attaches to. Four 5/16" bolts and two spacers to offset the new extension and I can change it out in two minutes. It is clean and looks like it came with the bike. Good luck.
@bostongreg or t stone: any pics of your new mount? I have a windshield for the rainy days, however I like my apes forward and hate having to move the bars back to allow the windshield to mount. Looking for something that will allow me to keep my bars forward and use the windshield.

Bocifus

Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by t stone
bostongreg, I did a similar thing to my Deluxe. I think I spaced the top bolts 1" and the bottom bolts 1/2". The problem with that is that the winshield now is more vertical and the wind doesnt flow over it as well. It works but not as good as stock position. I then wanted my apes rolled forward more but could not move the wind shield anymore forward. I cut the windshield around the bars in kind of a tomb stone design like the tail light. It looks ok plus I was able to roll the bars ahead. I dont run the windshield or any of the 2up stuff very often only on long trips or when it is f-ing cold out and when my wife rides with me.
Stone

Attachment 178408

Attachment 178410

Attachment 178411

Attachment 178412
Nice job!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
go2wallet
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t stone
bostongreg, I did a similar thing to my Deluxe. I think I spaced the top bolts 1" and the bottom bolts 1/2". The problem with that is that the winshield now is more vertical and the wind doesnt flow over it as well. It works but not as good as stock position. I then wanted my apes rolled forward more but could not move the wind shield anymore forward. I cut the windshield around the bars in kind of a tomb stone design like the tail light. It looks ok plus I was able to roll the bars ahead. I dont run the windshield or any of the 2up stuff very often only on long trips or when it is f-ing cold out and when my wife rides with me.
Stone

Attachment 178408

Attachment 178410

Attachment 178411

Attachment 178412

Looks great T Stone!!! How did you make the cuts?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Wanting to modify my windshield so I could run it when I need to, I saved this thread as a reference. I followed t stone's lead with the spacers. I found a rack of chrome hardware at my local Ace Hardware store and found a 5/16"-18x2" button head bolt (the factory ones are 5/16"-24x1") that matches the factory ones in looks exactly and then matching chrome acorn nuts. They also had sections of chromed spacers. I bought two 1" spacers and two 1/4" spacers for the top bolts and then two 1/8" spacers for the bottom bolts. This kicked the top of the windshield out 1 1/4" that allows for me to run my apes vertical. I put the top bolts/spacers in first and hand tightened them, then the bottom ones. I then pulled the windshield and tightened them all down. The windshield goes on and off just as easily as before! Total cost was about $32. I could have gone cheaper with standard (not chrome) hardware, but I think it looks good. Hope this helps others who run across this problem. I don't normally run with the windshield on unless I'm going all day. It helps cut down on the fatigue factor! A big shout out to t stone for posting this before me!

Here is the overall look...

Here you can see the spacers on the top bolts. The bottom one is sandwiched between the plexi and the aluminum quick mount bracket...

Side view from a little farther back. You really have to look to notice it isn't factory...

From the front, you can't tell at all...

The following users liked this post:
dropone (07-17-2016)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 PM
t stone
Road Master

Looks good brother. Thanks for the props. We all get ideas from one another. This is a good forum for this kind of stuff.

Stone

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Update:
Did a 375 epic ride through the mountains today with this windshield set-up. No problems. A bit of buffeting as described, but well worth the trade off. I was able to listen to my music the entire trip and actually able to hear it. The windshield saved me from a couple hundred kamikaze insects. And, I wasn't tone deaf at each stop from the wind tunnel effect on my ears with my half helmet. For a long ride with my 16" apes, it was well worth the effort to make my Nostalgia windshield work!

Quick Reply: Windshield issues with Ape hangers solution