Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Greg755
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with vibration.

Every once in a while I get a weird vibration from the back end of my crossbones.

the first time it happened I found a small pebble in the tire and that seemed to stop it.
The second time I looked it all over and nothing was obvious so since I was low on gas I filled up with high test and that seemed to stop it.
Yesterday it happened again so I need your help

Here is the situation. at around 50-55 mph I get the vibration from the back end.
It is like the vibration you get when you are in to high a gear and it is getting bogged down, that is to say it seems to vibrate for and aft not - side to side, nor is it bumpy like you had a tire out of round.
I checked both tires, the belt and the rear sprocket and they seem to be fine.
Can this be a fuel or tranny problem?
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Niddite
Cruiser

I have an '07 Deluxe and had the same vibration between 40 and 45 Mph and again just above 50 mph. It turned out to be the start of my back spokes loosening. He tightened them up and no more vibrations. Dealer told me the 96ci engine is harsh on rear spokes...torque and all that. I now check them frequently. Perhaps this is what you are experiencing...

Peace out.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It could be anything. Just because it feels like it is coming from the back end does not mean that is where it is. I would start checking the rear end first though. It could be a loose heat shiled, baffle, floorboard, or nearly anything else on the bike.

Drew

Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Greg755
Cruiser

Well I just had the 1000 mile service done prior to this and they said everything looked good. Right now the bike is under cover because of the weather.. Hopefully it will be in the upper 30s or lower 40s tomorrow so I can get it back on the road and see if I can get her to do it again...
The bike only has 2000 miles on her. Was thinking maybe the Vance and Hines tuner for the exhaust is acting up.
It doesn't do it long enough for me pin point the problem... I hate intermittent problems...

Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It could be anything. Just because it feels like it is coming from the back end does not mean that is where it is. I would start checking the rear end first though. It could be a loose heat shiled, baffle, floorboard, or nearly anything else on the bike.

Drew
Sadly enough he's right ... If you do a search on the forum on vibration you will find numerous causes for it.

From the pants you wear (no kidding: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...vibrating.html ) to exhaust leak or resonance (just google: site:hdforums.com vibration exhaust ), to certain road surfaces (google: site:hdforums.com vibration road surface ) to fuel, tires etc. etc. ...

If you suspect the V&H fuelpack, simplest is to disconnect it and see if the vibration disappears or not. Check the exhaust and tighten up the nuts too, and then systematically work you way through the bike ... and even though the dealer says they checked to spokes, won't hurt to check them yourself again.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg755
Every once in a while I get a weird vibration from the back end of my crossbones.

the first time it happened I found a small pebble in the tire and that seemed to stop it.
The second time I looked it all over and nothing was obvious so since I was low on gas I filled up with high test and that seemed to stop it.
Yesterday it happened again so I need your help

Here is the situation. at around 50-55 mph I get the vibration from the back end.
It is like the vibration you get when you are in to high a gear and it is getting bogged down, that is to say it seems to vibrate for and aft not - side to side, nor is it bumpy like you had a tire out of round.
I checked both tires, the belt and the rear sprocket and they seem to be fine.
Can this be a fuel or tranny problem?
Thanks for the help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
IF Ur in high gear (6th) its not good,,, the stock 96 is not made to putt at that low of RPM,,,,

Mine before cams didn't feel good/right at anywhere below 65.... even then it felt like it was bogging down...

if U want to ride at 58 or above in 6th. U have do STG! and some bolt in cams to make her feel and be right....

Spend the $$$$ or stay as U are....

Old 04-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 On "lugging" her down in 6th gear. The combination of drive train lash and running the engine at too low an RPM can cause to bike to "shudder".

Old 04-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Greg755
Cruiser

IF Ur in high gear (6th) its not good,,, the stock 96 is not made to putt at that low of RPM,,,,

Mine before cams didn't feel good/right at anywhere below 65.... even then it felt like it was bogging down...

if U want to ride at 58 or above in 6th. U have do STG!
What is STG?

This has not happened in 6th gear, It usually starts when I am in fourth or fifth gear. I don't even think I have used 6th gear since I had her (just not used to having a 6th gear).

If you do a search on the forum on vibration you will find numerous causes for it.

From the pants you wear (no kidding:
Today it will be in the forties so I think it will be warm enough to jump on her naked and see if my pants cause the problem...

I need to get her out for a longer trip so I can have more time to try some things while on the road - like switching gears and or pulling the clutch in and coasting to see if it effects the vibration..

Because of the weather, I have been limited to short rides on the back roads...

Last edited by Greg755; 04-02-2011 at 09:03 AM.