Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo Black Accessory Source(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
mikepett
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy Lo Black Accessory Source(s)

Now that I have my new Fat Boy Lo in Black Denim, I'm wondering if you guys know of any good sources for accessories specifically for the black Fat Boy. I've been searching for a couple of days now, but can't seem to find a site or sort option specifically for black accessories. I'm having to dig through the chrome accessories to see if it's available in black for my bike. It sure would be nice if there was a site somewhere that I could have show me all black Fat Boy Lo accessories, or is that the fun part about owning a blacked out bike?

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was part of the fun with the fat bob in my sig pic that i totaled last month. That's one reason that I'm looking forward to getting my Fat Boy Lo when I get back from Afghanistan this fall. Most of the parts are blacked out already. Something I discovered with the fat bob is that it's a lot cheaper to get parts already on the bike powder coated. I got the fat bobs wheel's powderc coated for about 300 for a set. A new set of black wheels from Harley would have been 1500.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

You're gonna end up getting your parts powder coated. I've had my light trim and license plate holder PC'd already. Lucky for you though...HD FINALLY started to put a few black pieces out there. You're gonna have a hard time finding some parts though. Just find a good PCer and let them do it for you all at once. It's much nicer than searching everywhere and waiting forever to find that perfect black part.

Congrats on the new bike! The LO is one fun *** bike!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Pyron
Cruiser

First things first, you'll want to get intimately familiar with this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...lo-owners.html

Subscribe to it, participate, drool and save.

Secondly, yes, you can pull parts off and powdercoat if you want to black stuff out, but a lot of parts are available from HD in wrinkle or gloss black. I haven't powdercoated anything just yet, because I just assume get the factory finish on factory parts, but that's just me. I'll have some of the smaller parts PC'd, and I'll probably PC the parts I took off the bike before I list them on E-Bay.

Quite honestly, I've found most of the black parts I needed right on HD's website. Click parts, select your year and model, and go looking around

In any case, congrats on the Lo. Everyone else here that has one is madly in love with theirs, myself included.

Ride safe, roll on.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
mikepett
Advanced

I've only put 30 miles on it, and that's because I could hardly bare anymore today (it was in the 30's here today), but I am in love with mine. The only other bike I've ever ridden is my V-Star 1100. I always wondered how people can put 10,000-20,000 on a bike in one year. I only put 4300 on my V-star in a year and a half and that seemed like a lot. Now, it all makes sense. My Fat Boy is smooth, comfortable, etc. I can't say enough. I am siked, and can't wait for the weather to break!

In getting back to the topic... when you guys talk about powder coating, are you saying that I should just buy the chrome version of the accessory and have that powder coated? Also, keep in mind that I'm not talking about parts already on my bike. I'm not necessarily looking to black out stock components that aren't black already. I mean more so if say I want to get a side mounted license plate and can't seem to find one in black, what do I do? Do I just buy the chrome and get it powder coated?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

I was mostly referring to parts that are stock to the bike. For example harley doesn't make a black belt cover for the fat bob i had so i took it off and got it powder coated. For non stock parts that don't come in black I'm not sure you would really have a choice. Lately though most of the non stock parts I've been looking at come in black or chrome (non harley of course). Some times the black part is more expensive which I don't really understand.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might have missed it.. but could you give your definition of "Accessory"? like what kinds of things are you looking at? maybe some of us have links to things you might want..
two places i check out for black parts or do-dads are:
www.motorcycle-superstore.com
www.jpcycles.com

as for a license plate..there's a few around..
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...ductId=p497365

idk how that one works.. but its listed.. though if you have a few hours free, you can look through the painting forums and get some good tips on painting chrome.. then rather than paying for powder coat, you can spend $6 on a can of Krylon Gloss Black or whatever and make your own..ya know? It's just an option

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with your mods and I hope you enjoy the chit outta that lo!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

Good point Jim. I forgot about the spray paint option. I did that on my fat bob on the battery band cover and fuse cover. It came out pretty decent for a first attempt. Of course I totaled the bike a month later, 2 days after getting the wheels back from powder coating

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Pyron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Good point Jim. I forgot about the spray paint option. I did that on my fat bob on the battery band cover and fuse cover. It came out pretty decent for a first attempt. Of course I totaled the bike a month later, 2 days after getting the wheels back from powder coating
The end of one era, and the beginning of a new (Lo era!). We live to ride!

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Lo Black Accessory Source(s)