Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary cover removal.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 PM
oldschoolsam
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary cover removal.

Hey all, new to the forum. I'm considering powdercoating my primary cover(09 crossbones) and I have a couple questions about the removal(the bolts are pretty straight forward but thanks in advance for that one)lol. I build and work on my own turbo snowmobiles so I'm no stranger to tearing into machines.

Just a couple questions.......

Is there oil contained in the primary chain housing cover that I am gong to be removing?

Any surprises with removing this cover or is it just straight forward, pop it off and bolt it back on?

Thanks in advance
Sam

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Floorboard/kickstand might need to come off. Yeah, it will need to be drained first, there is 40oz of oil in there. Other than that, don't forget to put the drain plug back in before refilling. You should refill with the bike level through the derby cover.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 AM
nissandoc
6th Gear

Oil in primary, drain plug on bottom edge of primary, fills through derby cover. I have a touring it requires removal of running board and heal and toe shift levers. if you are just taking off the outer primary remove the bolts the outer will come off.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 AM
oldschoolsam
6th Gear

Great, thanks a lot guys!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a manual? There is a sequence to removing and installing the bolts on the primay cover... there are also two small round gaskets with sticky backs to hold them in place when you are putting the cover back on make sure you look for those when you remove it to make sure you don't over look that. Nothing hard I tape up a large plastic rubbish bag under the primary on the frame cause when you pull it off there will be some oil still dripping makes for a cleaner job.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes there is oil that will have to be drained. Invest in a service manual, especially if you plan on doing most of your service work and customizing .

Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 AM
oldschoolsam
6th Gear

Good call on the service manual, didn't even occur to me. I guess I've been doing the sleds without any manual for so long that I've kind of forgotten about them. Thanks again guys for the great advice.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might not need to remove teh floorboard..if it's anything like the Lo, all I had to do was just loosen the 3 bolts that hold the floorboard on, and that was just to be able to tilt them enough to remove one of the "long bolts" from behind it.. if you have a heel-toe shifter (idk if the xbones does) the heel part will have to come off, but other than that it's not bad..

oh, invest in a new primary gasket, and there's a drain plug to get most of the oil out underneath the primary.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

Procedure is probably in your owners manual as well. What everbody else said particulary, follow the sequence and DO NOT overtighten the screws on reinstallation. There is a torque value for them and it ain't much. If you don't use a torque wrench (which you should), a nut driver w/torx bit or a 1/4" drive is plenty. Read some of the recent stripped screw threads to reinforce that if necessary. It's not rocket science. You probably should cover the primary while your cover is out for powdercoating, just a good practice.