Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas was coming out of my tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:34 AM
jnogreen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas was coming out of my tank

I finished doing a Stage 1 upgrade on my bike a few day's ago. 2009 Night Train - VH Big Radius, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather, and Fuelpak. I filled up the tank and rode home about 2 miles. About 3 hours later wife and I going for a ride I Started the bike and fuel started gushing out of the Tank under the gas cap. Luckily the bike was cooled down and didnt burst into flames as it ran down onto the pipes.

Does this Tank have an over flow line? And is it possible I pinched it off Cramming the Fuelpak under the Seat??? Did the Fuelpak cause this???

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you filled your tank when it was cooler at night or in the morning and went home with a topped off tank. Once it got hotter the gas expands and can leak out of a tank. Gas expanded and did not have any where to go.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to fill my bike on its kickstand, this helps with overflow problems. Most of my riding buddies fill theirs while sitting on the bike upright and they alway have gas coming out the overflow.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
KeeBee
Road Master

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
I tend to fill my bike on its kickstand, this helps with overflow problems. Most of my riding buddies fill theirs while sitting on the bike upright and they alway have gas coming out the overflow.
I didn't think of that but I do fill my bike on the kick stand as well giving a little bit of extra room expansion room. Guessing the riders in Oregon and NJ where you can't pump your own gas stay on their bikes to fill up.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter which way you fill it... on the jiffy stand or upright... "topping off" is only recommended if you are on a continuous journey where you know that you will be burning off the top of the tank. That said, if you overfill and have gas expansion to the point of overflowing, it should all flow thru the overflow hose. The cap should be a one way vent that just lets air in as the gas is used. Check and make sure your overflow hose is free of debris and not pinched off any where.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KeeBee
If you filled your tank when it was cooler at night or in the morning and went home with a topped off tank. Once it got hotter the gas expands and can leak out of a tank. Gas expanded and did not have any where to go.
+1 on this. It has happened to me also. I don't top off before I go home anymore, I top off before I go out. Problem solved.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KeeBee
\ Guessing the riders in Oregon and NJ where you can't pump your own gas stay on their bikes to fill up.
not true.. the attendant will turn on the pump for you (if a code is required), otherwise no attendant has ever laid a hand on my bike, or anyone else i've ever seen..

but yeah i get off my bike and put it on the kickstand and fill it all the way up, but have never had gas come out of the top.. though i usually top off before i go out, not before i get home..

Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,344 Likes on 3,188 Posts

+1 on what handy said. Leave room for expansion. and check your over flow tube, vent hose/ and vent hole.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
lschultz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap check the vent hose and see if it is pinched. After you fill the tank and put the cap back on push down on it when you are tightening it.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
KeeBee
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
not true.. the attendant will turn on the pump for you (if a code is required), otherwise no attendant has ever laid a hand on my bike, or anyone else i've ever seen..

but yeah i get off my bike and put it on the kickstand and fill it all the way up, but have never had gas come out of the top.. though i usually top off before i go out, not before i get home..
Right but how many stay on the bike since the attendant is handing them the nozzle is what I meant. If I lived in your area I might be tempted to stay on the bike. Just as long as they hand me a towel.

Quick Reply: Gas was coming out of my tank