Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fatboy Deluxe Project continues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM
aquaelvis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Fatboy Deluxe Project continues...

I was able to pick up a near-new rear fender that came off a 2008 Deluxe. (original plan was to stay with the fatboy style lights but this fender came up and I like the tombstone better, so why not?)
I tried out my new HF lift last night and installed the the fender to see how much work it was going to be to make it fit. To my suprise it fit perfect. Every last nut, hole, etc is exactly like the 2004 fatboy that I removed. The tailights are the only things not the same. (directionals too of course)
This worked out so well that even the electrical plug is the same! I plugged it in and the brake light works! (not 100% sure about the directionals but I assume they will, if not that is an easy fix)

So next of the list I think it to find a seat I like, fit it to make sure everything is cool. Then I can do the paint on all these new tins, while running the original fatboy tins. When the paint is done, the original tins will go to ebay to help off-set some of what I have spent. (and pay for part of the Samsons) While I am finishing up the paint I'll have time to find/order the directionals, license plate drop bracket, soft brake tombstone, clear front lenses, highway bars, etc. I have the rear shock lowering bolts on the way now so I'll change those out when I pull it off the road for the tin swap. (damn that rear end is up there, like a fricken enduro or something!)

The Fatboy Deluxe is coming out just like I wanted and still on a good budget. Spent $260 for front and rear fenders with all trim, still need the directionals. I'm in the rims and tires $450, but they are also brand new. When all is said and done I should have the bike exactly like I want it (custom paint too) and for right around $10k. Not bad for an 04 with 6k miles. I don't regret starting with a Fatboy at all, hate those rims and front fender but boy were they an easy (and cheap) fix.
Some pics... (grey front fender, red tank, black rear fender, geesh!)
*you'll see in the pics that I did not put the last bolts in the fender, the holes all lined up and since this isn't a perm swap I did not want to take all the stuff off the old fatboy fender, then put it all back, etc. I can run a plug like the deluxes do on that extra hole (fatboy directionals) or run some smaller directionals, etc.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Steven W.
Advanced

Looking nice. I am in the final stretch of doing deluxe fenders on my '04 Softail Standard. I didn't find the deals you found, but got what I wanted. Hoping the final product turns out like it did in my head. I purchased the trim pieces for the fenders, but need to unload those as I decided not to use them.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks cool, I like it.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice modifications.Great deal on those Deuxe tins. I also hope to either find a reasonably-priced set, or just spend the extra money with Klockwerk or Sumax fenders. What color/scheme are you comtemplating?s

Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Looking good, much better without the blue sidewalls.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 AM
aquaelvis
Tourer

much better without the blue sidewalls
I thought the bluewall added a "factory fresh" look to the old school feel.
What color/scheme are you comtemplating?s
I am thinking all black w/o the console extension- all painted tank. Thinking red and white pinstripe. (Simple stripes- like a stock job, maybe a little old school design but very mellow, probably one where the console extension went on the tank)
I have a set of tank emblems I am using, they are those black and white 61-62 ones.
The deals I found were from making offers on CL, emailing old auctions on ebay, etc. Got a perfect tank for $100 shipped. The guy ran the same auction a few times, $189 start bid plus $28 ship. I just emailed him and said it wasn't selling, you want it gone today? After a little work I got him to take $100 shipped.
Of course after buying them all as pieces and hunting all over I found a guy with a complete set for $350!
purchased the trim pieces for the fenders, but need to unload those as I decided not to use them
Wish I would have known, just bought the rear trim. Front fender is brand new, was never put on and had all the trim. Rear was a take-off shortly after it was new but did loose some parts. (turn signals, trim)
Even the handle bars on this are deluxe. Better than what I had and only $30. I'll do some better beach bars later, after the exhaust. (unless I find a sweet deal first)

Last edited by aquaelvis; 03-25-2011 at 09:12 AM.