Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 in upgrade parts list

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 AM
scottnumero2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 in upgrade parts list

I am hoping to get some advice here about upgrading my stock 88in 2000 Fatboy. I bought this bike about a year ago from a guy who was in a bad financial spot. Over the years he put a lot of money into chrome and paint but nothing for performance. I have been searching/reading through various websites and magazines and came up with what I think might be a good route to go to upgrade but I am not a mechanic. As money is a limiting factor I am going to buy these parts over the next 6 - 7 months and then have them installed by a shop. Any suggestions or additions to this list would be greatly appreciated.

S&S 97 Big Bore Kit
S&S 585GE Cams (would like to go to gear vs. chain)
S&S Super G Kit (just bought this)
2 into 1 exhaust (haven't settled on one brand yet)
Headwork

I know S&S is a decent brand, is there something better? Am I missing anything big here?

I would also like to get some decent wheels but haven't found any i can afford just yet.

Appreciate the help.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revolution Performance makes a 98 kit, but the bum runs $2,400..

but S&S is a great name in engines and has been for years, since 1958.. buying a kit from them would be a good idea, IMO..
also, for 2-1 pipes, everyone's raving about the D&D Exhaust Fat Cat system.. I have never seen one in person, but hey..people on here are doing multiple threads about them so it must be something..

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How many miles are on the engine? I have been warned by mechanics that if you go to a big bore kit do not neglect the bottom end if you have high miles. The engine with high miles may not be able to take the additional strain. With the total cost of the parts you have listed, you may be better off getting a motor from S&S. Just my opinion.

I am looking at new cam, then gear drive, adjustable pushrods, then headwork to take full advantage of the cam, then a better flowing carb, might as well add a bore kit, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM
VA_Grumpy_Biker
Cruiser

In addition to S&S try looking at Revolution Performance. http://www.revperf.com/

They have a 98 big bore kit as well as ported heads and their cost (if your heads are in good shape) is less than S&S.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The 98" kit without heads is about $1000. Send your heads to Big Boyz. I was going to do this but settled on a standard Harley 95" kit instead. For gear drives make sure your mech checks the crank runout prior to settling on gear drive. It has to be .003 or less. Some people say it is not a problem but I disagree. For a 2 into get a fatcat and talk to big boyz about what you want out of the motor and let him tell you how to do the heads. I ended up not doing my heads when I did my build as money was tight, however I talked to them and explained I was more interested in longevity than max power. He suggested a true 9:4:1 or 9:6:1. You will get more power with a higher compression ratio.

My bike runs great for my needs. I would still like to do my heads and possibly do gear drives as I have the SE 203 but one thing at a time here for me.

Drew

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Hey Scott,
A big part that will decide your build will be what do you want the motor to do? As in, do you want low end grunt, or top end punch, or just a nice smooth improvement over the whole range.

When the shop that does your work tears into it, make sure they check the crank runout. To run geared cams you are looking for .002" or less runout. If your runout is larger than that, but still within acceptable range, (the moco now says .012" is acceptable but I wouldn't run it that far out,) you should run chain drive cams. Update your oil pump also.

You can get your heads reworked. Call the shops that do it and explain your build and needs and they will help you decide on comp. ratio and how much porting. I like Bean at Big Boyz. He's very helpful and knowledgeable. Another option is 06' and later heads. They flow pretty well on their own and you might save some $$$ using them.

Good choice on the S&S equipment. I've used a lot of there stuff and have never had a problem.

I'd have answered sooner but tmilo's avatar put me in a trance.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Wild Grover
Cruiser

Check out protwin.com for some nice kits. Did the HQ95st on my '02 Heritage couldn't be happier with it, they have everything you need from carb kits to ignition if needed. I also added a Super Meg to it after running the stock 2-2 pipes w/ Cycle Shacks and it was a real nice pick up!

Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
scottnumero2
6th Gear

Thank you for the replies.

The engine has 7,000 miles on it and runs good and I would like to boost the low to mid range output. Being so few miles is it worth switching to gear drive cams now?

I will check into the other kits mentioned and see the price/performance difference. I have been looking at the fatcat exhaust and already leaning that way. Also going to read up on crank runout and check into prices for a new oil pump (any suggestions there?)

Dr. Vtwin, do you have any idea how much big boyz charge for head work?

Another question, what is the advantage of the adjustable pushrods?

Agreed about tmilo's avatar... I am a fan.

Thank you all for your help

Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM
flamed2006fxst
2nd Gear

I'm running close to the same setup your talking about building. I have a 06 FXST with S&S E carb, 585 S&S easy start gear driven cams, Fueling billet cam plate and oil pump, screaming eagle adjustable pushrods, Vance & Hine Big Radius 2 into 1, and Crane ignition. Going to do the 97 S&S big bore and possibly head porting or a set of S&S heads in the fall after riding season ends. Right now the bike has a little more bottom then it did stock, but comes in like a freight train at about 3000 all the way to the rev limiter set at 5700. The Super G carb is a little big for a 97 inch, will loose some of the bottom end. The adjustable pushrods made the cam swap easier, because the rocker boxs did not need to be pulled.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
scottnumero2
6th Gear

flamed2006fxst - I will see if I can find more data comparing the Super E and G. An exchange might be in order. How do you like the 585's? Would you still pick those if doing it again? And was it better to switch from chain to gear? With 7,000 on my engine should I stay with gear drive? Which oil pump did you go with?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 88 in upgrade parts list