Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on buying a Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011 | 08:53 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
The rear fender is something you love or hate...its one of the things that make a Deuce unique

I know,if you got rid of the rear fender,might as well get a softail custom then,because that is what you will have. Myself,I love the rear fender it's what make a Deuce a Deuce.

Old 03-24-2011 | 09:16 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hutchdown
I appreciate all the advice so far. Was there any tech advancements between the 01 and 04 models that could sway my decision? Also, are there any noticable mods to either bike that would change my mind? Thanks again in advance.

Hutch
I think there are better cam bearings in the 01, I believe the last year for the timken bearings was 02, correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 03-24-2011 | 10:36 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain

I would check them out see what one is in better shape. I'm usually a newer model year person if deciding between 2. When I bought my deuce, it was between an 01 maxed out with everything done to it or an 07 on eBay with not much done to it. My decision was easier since there was an engine size difference and the 01 was ugly purple. Bought the 07. I am doing my own thing to the 07. Not what someone else picked out. Just my 2 pennies

Old 03-24-2011 | 11:32 AM
Flashover
Advanced

I'd probably go with the 01 due to the "extras". Your looking at hundreds of dollars in after market product sometimes. Think about the price you'd pay for pipes intake tuning labor. It adds up. With no change on the duece with those years I'd weigh in the extras that you won't need to but. Like previously stated they don't add to the value of the price you pay or it. But will be put of pokey for you if you need to get all that stuff on your own. If it were different motor sizes that be different but everything is equal with those years so look at the "extras"!

Old 03-24-2011 | 12:20 PM
Hutchdown
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Flashover
I'd probably go with the 01 due to the "extras". Your looking at hundreds of dollars in after market product sometimes. Think about the price you'd pay for pipes intake tuning labor. It adds up. With no change on the duece with those years I'd weigh in the extras that you won't need to but. Like previously stated they don't add to the value of the price you pay or it. But will be put of pokey for you if you need to get all that stuff on your own. If it were different motor sizes that be different but everything is equal with those years so look at the "extras"!
This was sort of what I was thinking, I havent seen either of them in person yet, but based on the pictures, I like the look of the '01 better. If I were to get them both down to 8k or so in price, just making sure it is ok to pay the same for a 3 year older bike.

Old 03-24-2011 | 06:04 PM
Hutchdown
|
6th Gear

I am going by to see the 01 tomorrow after work. I was wondering if anyone could educate me with some smart questions to ask the seller. This is my first time looking at a Harley and I could use any help I could get. Thanks in advance,

Hutch

Old 03-24-2011 | 06:15 PM
paulsmonte@gmail.com
Stage I

I agree both bikes are nice . the only problem i had with mine was the in tank lines on the fuel pump. and i got rid of chain driven cams before the tensioners fail and installed a set of s-s gear drives. got 18.000 on mine now no problems

Old 03-24-2011 | 06:37 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

The '01 has the Timken bearing(as mentioned above) , and also a forged crank . Pretty sure '02 was the last year for that . The '01 also has a great pipe on it . I'd go with the '01 , obviously . Good luck on which ever you decide on .

Old 03-25-2011 | 11:55 AM
Hutchdown
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jaysonL
The '01 has the Timken bearing(as mentioned above) , and also a forged crank . Pretty sure '02 was the last year for that . The '01 also has a great pipe on it . I'd go with the '01 , obviously . Good luck on which ever you decide on .

Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-25-2011 | 12:23 PM
rlowride
Road Warrior

the first one... the big pics..

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying a Deuce