Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011 | 05:24 PM
SMH
|
Tourer
Default Fellow Rockers

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I figured I would throw it out there just in case. Ever since I got the bike, I would notice a strange "rattle" up toward the front of the bike. Strange thing was, I only heard it when I was hard on the throttle. It had gotten to the point on every ride to where I was touching, pulling and testing everything I could get my hands on to see if it was the cause. Yesterday it was driving me absolutely INSANE, so I decided not to come back home until I figured out where the hell it was coming from.

An hour before dark I had all but given up. I had decided it wasn't gears, transmission, wires bouncing off the bars, loose bolts, or anything else I could get my hands on. I was really scratching my head and had accepted it was time to bring her back and start breaking things apart. And thats when it happened. I laid my left hand up on the speedo as I hammered on the throttle out of disappointment, and I'll be dayum if the rattle didn't stop.

Some how, some way, up underneath the console, the speedo had become loose. It wasn't visible at all to the naked eye, but when I applied a little pressure, the ***-demon of all rattles was gone. Not sure what caused it, though. I did have the console off when I installed the tank lift, but never touched anything except a few wires. I'm just glad it was something so simple. I was almost convinced my transmission was about blow the covers off!

Old 03-23-2011 | 05:31 PM
DevilDogg
Tourer

Never had that problem but good information.

Old 03-23-2011 | 06:45 PM
08rock
Road Master

nope not on mine

Old 03-23-2011 | 06:53 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Haven't had that problem on mine.
Neither with the stock speedo or the HD speedo/tach combo I'm using now.

Old 03-23-2011 | 07:54 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

I had a similar problem. Like you it almost drove me nuts. It took me a while to figure out it was the gas cap rattling when my RPM's were high (right about the time I needed to shift). It sounded like it was coming from the front end of the bike somewhere. I went back to my HD dealer, told 'em what was going on and they replaced the gas cap and haven't had any problems since.

Old 03-23-2011 | 09:38 PM
pturner
Intermediate

same on the gas cap, it drives me crazy "buzzing" at a certain RPM. Like to have never found it.
PT in Tennessee

Old 03-24-2011 | 03:28 AM
Reb DEATH
Cruiser

Got any pics and a run down of how you installed the tank lift kit? What kit did you use? I just don't like the look of the stock tank position because it is too flat. I wanted to lift the front about an inch or so for some slant effect. Any ideas or advice?

Old 03-24-2011 | 07:30 AM
SMH
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rip DEATH
Got any pics and a run down of how you installed the tank lift kit? What kit did you use? I just don't like the look of the stock tank position because it is too flat. I wanted to lift the front about an inch or so for some slant effect. Any ideas or advice?
No pics, and I can't remember the name of the lift, but I got it on ebay. It was a 2 to 3" lift. I'll see if I can't find it later.

Install was simple. I cut the brackets right under the 2" hole, sanded and painted black. I then loosened the tank, raised the front up enough to install the brackets to the tank itself and figured out how long I needed the crossover hose. Next, bolt up the bracket to the existing holes, clamp on your crossover cable and get tighten your tank back up.

Very simple install.

Old 03-24-2011 | 08:11 AM
Reb DEATH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rubiconMike
I had a similar problem. Like you it almost drove me nuts. It took me a while to figure out it was the gas cap rattling when my RPM's were high (right about the time I needed to shift). It sounded like it was coming from the front end of the bike somewhere. I went back to my HD dealer, told 'em what was going on and they replaced the gas cap and haven't had any problems since.
Hey Bro...what kind of lift kit do you have on your bike? Just looking for ideas.

Old 03-24-2011 | 10:29 AM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rip DEATH
Hey Bro...what kind of lift kit do you have on your bike? Just looking for ideas.
The company name is Chopper Style. Here's a link to what I bought:

http://chopperstyle.net/touring-soft...nch-tank-lift/

Personally, if I had it to do over again I would NOT pay $60 for one of these. I would make my on for less than $10.

Quick Reply: Fellow Rockers