Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail mods- looks or performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

easily dumped almost 5k into mine aside from the original price. i want looks first, performance second.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Hippiebeads
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I grow up I want to be a chrome *****.After I am done whoring around I will start on the performance mods.Not even close to 10K,but you have given me a goal to shoot for.(lol)

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM
NCTURBOS
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Form definitely follows function for most H-D owners, I believe.

Myself, I've spent much more on the performance end of things. Not really to compete with the sportbikes or keep up with them. Some of us are just HP-Junkies!! I like to hit mine hard through the gears, not to maintain triple digit speeds at length.

I build some high HP turbocharged street car, build some high HP/TQ Dodge Cummins, so my bike had to follow suit...

K.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 8,954 Likes on 4,700 Posts

I ruined a bike making it look cool and it was a real pain to ride.

With this new one I'll only make "cool" mods if doesn't affect comfort. That being said, I'll probably start working on the engine once I get a few "cool" things out of the way. Not sure where I fall in on your list. I guess both.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Performance, looks, and comfort!

$10K combined on two bikes. You need another category: COMFORT! Performance, looks, and comfort! I would personally place the apes in the comfort category, but I know there are those who disagree and feel they are only for looks and take away from the performance. I disagree completely!

SJ Ron

Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1...everything done on my sled is for the look I want.

For me anyway, and again this is JMHO, HD's are about a look, a style, an attitude...not how fast I can go from light to light, or through a canyon. They're fast enough for me the way they are for the type of riding I want to do. If I wanted a fast bike, I'd buy a new sportbike for around 10G's that, completly stock, would run circles around my bike (or most HD's) no matter how much money I put in the old girl. That would be much more cost effective ...just not as cool.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 PM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I've spent anywhere near that but with my new paint, stage 1 upgrades, and all the extras I guess I would fall into category 3.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three,but it was all done when i bought it,lol..just added fender rack,sissy bar,solo seat and extended forwords and pegs ,so im getting out cheap,so far.oh yea. Tall boy 2up,got to keep the gf happy

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 for me. And I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but if you're into performance, (acceleration, braking, and handling), then you're riding the wrong bike (not that there's anything wrong with a hopped up Harley or those who choose to make those mods).

Last edited by gforrest2; 03-23-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm well on my way to that much, and I'd say like a lot of people here I'd be a 3. Spent a few bucks on some basic cosmetics, but mostly bolt on chrome, and even my exhaust choice was based on looks and sound, not performance. The bigbore cams and pcv was obviously for performance. I try to keep the money going both way.

Quick Reply: Softail mods- looks or performance?