Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail mods- looks or performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
The guys that do it for performance, do you do it for the same reason I do it for looks, which is to show it off?

To me, I don't want more power on my 96ci. I have no desire to go faster than a hundred or 0-60 in 3 seconds. I have all the passing power I need and I can smoke my back tire to a melt down.

So the only reason I can think of to want higher performance is to show it off. Is this the case? If it were the need for speed, then why buy a harley which is the desiel of the motorcycle industry.

I personally have a lot of respect for the guys that mod in the direction of performance. Maybe it's because that's where that type of modder is most knowlegeable?
Will a lo really do 0-60 in 3 seconds? I haven't gone all out as its a new bike, but it feels much slower than my vette, which does 0-60 in 3.8. Feels like a lot of torque but not fast. If that's the case, I will finish the stage 1 and be done with it for performance mods for sure.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
The guys that do it for performance, do you do it for the same reason I do it for looks, which is to show it off?
Do you ride 2up? Are you used to riding bikes that are better performing? Ever ride with faster bikes and you would like to keep up? Ride over steep mountain or high altitude passes? Performance mods can fall into the non-existent "functionality" category. Then again, some like to burn up wheels to show off also.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:19 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I went performance because I wanted to be out on the highway and know I had the juice to pass the semi.

My stock 88 loaded with myself, girlfriend and luggage for 4 days was a lot. I was on the interstate and needed more juice... There was no one home....

I put a highway package in it. I go on at least 2 trips a year and on highway 81 you better be able to do 90 easily or your going to get run off the road.

Once I get to the rally, I show off the bling.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mostly 1.
DG seat, SE air cleaner and slip ons. Shotgun Shock and soon Ricor Intiminators I ordered after Drew wrote about his experience with them.

The way I ride, I don't need a beefed up engine. If those I ride with decide they are frustrated grand prix riders, I'll just show up later than them.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Moog5050, lol hell no! It was a figure of speech.

Kuma, Good points.

hspring, I hear ya bro, but I have that power with the 96ci. I have the 88ci on my ultra and I can see the need for an upgrade there.

Kowan, I agree!

I have to admit that there are a few valid points here on the performance side. But it sounds like I have the power for the suggested needs for performance already on my lo.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My old 80inch FXSTC had plenty of power for me and my ex.
Of course I weighed 170 and her 115 wasn't taxing the engine.
(I lost 20 pounds after my cook left)

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 and 1/2 here...

i love the looks thing because im a previous crotch rocketeer... i had all of the RPMs i needed and have all the tickets to prove it...

sport bike riding for me was about performance and freaking speed... what i abosolutely love about the HD world is the modding of looks.

if i ever need speed again, i'll go buy an R1...

Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 but a future #2 when I'm done with #1 on how much money spent will check when I'm done because if I knew now I'd probably stop the maddness.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

#1 here also. Dropped about 5k in all the things Ive done so far. Still lookin at gettin wheels, Stretching my rear fender etc. Probably gonna drop another 5k on her before Im done.
Ive had bikes built for Speed, had a Busa before my deluxe. I dont care about goin fast anymore. I wanna be seen and heard. The only performance mods I've done is Big Sucker, PCIII, and exhaust. Might do Cams next year, but thats mainly for alittle bit more Torque and for the sound Good Cams make, potato, potato, potato.

Last edited by CountryD; 03-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
The Count
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped about 10k this past winter on a bunch of mods all surrounding looks. I get crap from the rocket guys at my work about racing them... My comeback is lets bring our bikes to bike night at the local bar and put up a voting booth to see who gets more props... My moneys on my bike over theres. Speed limit is 65 here so I have no need to go 150. Next yr Ill probably do a few engine mods to boost performance but no where near 10k.

I love walking by the rocket guys on a nice hot day and asking them "hey man are you sure you dont want to pull your bike in the garage, arent you worried that you're going to walk out to a puddle of plastic and a few metal parts?"

Quick Reply: Softail mods- looks or performance?