Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail mods- looks or performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here mostly #1 besides the typical Stage I .... In the future might become a #3, but not anytime soon! (running out of money!)

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Aside from intake and exhaust, I'm a #1 modifier. I'm not really into making my Crossbones a high performance machine.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I think there's a 4th catagory, functionality. Adding things like saddlebags and windshields and even seats to some degree, which don't alter performance (in terms of handling, acceleration, etc.), oftentimes look worse, but make the bike more useable since most Softails don't come out of the factory with shields and bags, and the like.

Aside from a stage 1 setup, all of my mods have been for functionality (highway pegs, bags, seat, windshield) and for looks (chrome do-dads..)

Didn't read the OP closely enough, I'm not quite up to 10k either...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by plutnicki
I think there's a 4th catagory, functionality. Adding things like saddlebags and windshields and even seats to some degree, which don't alter performance (in terms of handling, acceleration, etc.), oftentimes look worse, but make the bike more useable since most Softails don't come out of the factory with shields and bags, and the like.

Aside from a stage 1 setup, all of my mods have been for functionality (highway pegs, bags, seat, windshield) and for looks (chrome do-dads..)

Didn't read the OP closely enough, I'm not quite up to 10k either...
Ok, I understand the functionality, but that's not the kind of mod discussion I'm after. The modders that I'm looking to post here are ones that have done it for LOOKS or PERFORMANCE. I have an Ultra for functionality and those kind of mods are the most reasonable. I'm looking for unreasonable lol. Respectfully

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 03-23-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Number three for sure. I have never added up my total of my mods as I don't want to know how much I have spent./ I could have had another bike too.

I started with looks, and then over the years I got into performance after I felt I did msot everything I could with looks. Actually first thing was exhaust, PCIII and air cleaner. Then it was rims, air ride, 5 more sets of ehxaust. Then a few more sets of wheels, 2 more air rides, another set of bars or two, new cables, and the list goes on and on and on.

Drew

Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

#3 but really after my stage 1 its been about comfort and looks. Once I rack up some more miles I'll do a 103 kit with cams, etc, but that will be a few years out at this point

Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

The guys that do it for performance, do you do it for the same reason I do it for looks, which is to show it off?

To me, I don't want more power on my 96ci. I have no desire to go faster than a hundred or 0-60 in 3 seconds. I have all the passing power I need and I can smoke my back tire to a melt down.

So the only reason I can think of to want higher performance is to show it off. Is this the case? If it were the need for speed, then why buy a harley which is the desiel of the motorcycle industry.

I personally have a lot of respect for the guys that mod in the direction of performance. Maybe it's because that's where that type of modder is most knowlegeable?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
The guys that do it for performance, do you do it for the same reason I do it for looks, which is to show it off?

To me, I don't want more power on my 96ci. I have no desire to go faster than a hundred or 0-60 in 3 seconds. I have all the passing power I need and I can smoke my back tire to a melt down.

So the only reason I can think of to want higher performance is to show it off. Is this the case? If it were the need for speed, then why buy a harley which is the desiel of the motorcycle industry.

I personally have a lot of respect for the guys that mod in the direction of performance. Maybe it's because that's where that type of modder is most knowlegeable?
I agree to a certain point, its certainly fast enough now, but a little more oomph wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think for me, its about reliability, so after about 50K or abouts, I'll want to replace the bearings with reliable ones, upgrade the compensator, true and weld the crank, etc. Cams and a bigger bore wouldn't be that much extra at that point

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
HarleyCamper
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well short of 10K here, but I would say #1 -- LOOKS came before performance for me. Trading in my previous sled for what I have now was enough of a performance upgrade!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I agree to a certain point, its certainly fast enough now, but a little more oomph wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think for me, its about reliability, so after about 50K or abouts, I'll want to replace the bearings with reliable ones, upgrade the compensator, true and weld the crank, etc. Cams and a bigger bore wouldn't be that much extra at that point
That makes perfect sence!

The reason I'm asking about this, is because (kinda like Drew said) I'm at the point in my mods to where I'm looking at performance, but I just don't really want more power than what I have. So I don't think I'm gonna go there at this time.

But If I had to replace stuff after many miles, I could see where I would up grade at that point, since I'd have to rebiuld or replace anyway.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 03-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Softail mods- looks or performance?