Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty question

Sadly my new 2011 Deluxe has an oil leak. Oil is leaking from the top oil return line on the engine side.

Not sure if the Harley warranty is like a car warranty. Where you can take your car to any dealer.

Just sux having only 500 miles on the bike and having a oil leak. Maybe it's not so serious.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Yes any dealer some do better than others with what they will warranty. That said its probably an o-ring and if so its a 5 min fix.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Sweet thx. Dealer I got it from is an hour drive. But there is a smaller dealer 10 mins from my house.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
billsantos
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KeeBee
Sadly my new 2011 Deluxe has an oil leak. Oil is leaking from the top oil return line on the engine side.

Not sure if the Harley warranty is like a car warranty. Where you can take your car to any dealer.

Just sux having only 500 miles on the bike and having a oil leak. Maybe it's not so serious.
That's interesting. I got the same bike with about 300 miles and while cleaning it, if you talking about the 2 oil lines going into the engine crank case, I rubbed my finger under both and came up with oil.. nothing on the engine, just the bottom of the fittings. You actually have it dripping on to the engine case or just same as me ?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 AM
KeeBee
Road Master

Originally Posted by billsantos
That's interesting. I got the same bike with about 300 miles and while cleaning it, if you talking about the 2 oil lines going into the engine crank case, I rubbed my finger under both and came up with oil.. nothing on the engine, just the bottom of the fittings. You actually have it dripping on to the engine case or just same as me ?
Same thing there is no oil on the bottom of the motor just on the bottom of those fittings. Only reason I found it was I was cleaning the bike and checking my bolts on my Shotgun shock and the shocks were covered in oil. At first I thought my shocks were leaking something but looking closer it was engine oil. Traced it to the top oil line going into the crank case. The bottom one is slick but doesn't show oil dripping like the top one. Pretty sure just the top line has a slow drip.

Going to call the dealer near my house today see how long it will take to fix it. Guessing this is a fairly common problem. Rode it to work today so hopefully its not that serious.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

Rode it to work today so hopefully its not that serious.[/quote]

Ride on, remember there is a little HD heritage with oil leaks. Definitely get it fixed though.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fdb2007
Rode it to work today so hopefully its not that serious.
Ride on, remember there is a little HD heritage with oil leaks. Definitely get it fixed though.[/QUOTE]

Your right about that.. Years ago there was a heritage of keeping a news paper under them..Strange looking plastic ring right where the oil line goes into the nut. One you can spin easily and but not the other. Maybe something over tightened and crushed or just under tightened.. guess it's time to break down and buy a shop manual..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just 2 o-rings and a plastic clip in there. most likely pinched o-ring is the concern. Not a long repair at all

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this same problem a couple of times. The pipe that connects to the engine just slides through two "O" rings and a plastic ring. You will find the pipe has about 1/16 of an inch of play in it if you try to push it back and forth into and out of the engine. In a lot of cases, if you work this pipe back and forth a few times, spray the pipe and plastic clip that holds the pipe into the engine real good, let it dry and wipe everything off, you will most likely fix your problem. I've had to do this on both of my bikes and it worked both times. Good luck! I've seen new "O" rings leak a first until they got heated and seated in properly. I could be just residual oil from the initial installation that never got cleaned out of the fitting properly.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
billsantos
Cruiser

[QUOTE=kentuckydave;8091353]I've had this same problem a couple of times. The pipe that connects to the engine just slides through two "O" rings and a plastic ring. You will find the pipe has about 1/16 of an inch of play in it if you try to push it back and forth into and out of the engine. In a lot of cases, if you work this pipe back and forth a few times, spray the pipe and plastic clip that holds the pipe into the engine real good, let it dry and wipe everything off, you will most likely fix your problem. I've had to do this on both of my bikes and it worked both times. Good luck! I've seen new "O" rings leak a first until they got heated and seated in properly. I could be just residual oil from the initial installation that never got cleaned out of the fitting properly.[

Good info, thanks. Sounds like some half *** over engineered compression type fitting.