Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011 | 11:27 PM
NoRegerts
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Default CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?

I have already done searches and found answers to all my questions except:

The stock bars have the wiring routed internally. Is it possible to do the same with the Narrow Beach Bars from Harley p/n# 56940-09? As inexpensive as they are, there's no reason I can't install these strait away. I'm not a fan of the apes.

All I need to know is if I can run the wires internally. The stock cables fit even though HD says to replace them. And will the turn signals NEED to be relocated, of will they be fine where they are?

Old 03-22-2011 | 12:43 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Are you sure about the stock Bones having internal wiring in the bars? As far as I know stock Bones bars have the wires on the outside.

Typically, if you want to run internal wiring you would want to go to a bar that is 1 1/4 " in diameter and that are dimpled and drilled to rout the wiring into them easier. The H-D narrow beach bars are not really designed for this. Not that it can't be done. You may just have more of a challange to do it.

The stock lines and cable will work with the narrow beach bars but you will end up with a lot of slack because the stock mini apes are overall longer bars. This is why H-D suggests you change to shorter cables. If you go with the full size beach bars, you will have bars that are designed to be wired internally and that will work with all your stock cables.

Your turn signals should not need to be relocated.

Old 03-22-2011 | 12:58 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

You do need a relocation kit for the indicators on the narrow beach bar, it's just some small chromed blocks that change the hook up of the indicators by about 90°

Turn Signal Relocation Kit P/N 68266-03

I had all that done by the dealer while they had the bike sitting there 3 weeks waiting for the recall nut and bolt to arrive ... (they didn't charge me for the labor)

I kept the longer cables on the bike, people didn't notice until I pointed it out. It was not that bad.

I'll see if I can find a pic.

Attached Thumbnails CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?-dsc03205.jpg   CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?-dsc03207.jpg  

Last edited by Rakthi; 03-22-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 03-22-2011 | 01:23 AM
NoRegerts
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I could be wrong about the internal wiring, I read that on the website. My bones isn't due in until Wed. The stock bars aren't bad but I'm used to lower bars. My Triumph Bonneville had low bars, and then I turned them upside down to get them even lower. I don't want anything agressive, but not as high as the stock bars. Slightly longer cables is less an issue than short ones. Thanks for the part numbers.

In your opinion, how comfortable are those bars? I'm tired of sacraficing comfort for cool.

Old 03-22-2011 | 02:24 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

I got a bad shoulder from a motorbike accident 30+ years ago. Can't have my arm too high for too long a time. So for me the beach bar is ideal. I think it's comfortable. The mini apes on the xbones aren't that high, but I prefer the look of the bike with the lower bars. So I'm happy with the look and the comfort.

I found the pictures I got send from the service guys at HD Kuala Lumpur before they went ahead with the install. Shows you how the seating/riding position is on the bike. The service manager was same hight as I. About 5.10" and 30" inseam. Gives you the best idea about seating position on the bike with the narrow beach bar.

First pic is how my doctor would want me to sit on the bike and second one is how I probably sit on it most of the time ...

Attached Thumbnails CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?-position1.jpg   CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?-position-2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011 | 07:39 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

The Crossbones isn't wired internally from the factory (at least mine wasn't). I declined to buy the expensive HD accessory to relocate the turnsignals and made my own for free. If you have a spare piece from an older discarded set of turnsignals that's all you need. People threw thousands of these away, they should be easy to find. If not I think HD gets about $5 for a new one. This picture shows the new mounting location.

Free Tip: Give some thought to the routing of the wires before you start tightening things up. If you wait until it's all together (like I did), you'll see a better way to do it and end up taking it all apart again.

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:01 PM
Hx3
Road Master

Daddyknuck, what size cables did you go with? Would appreciate if you could post the part numbers. These are the bars I want to go with. Also, did you use the stock risers or did you have to go with a different set?

Old 03-23-2011 | 12:44 AM
NoRegerts
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm 6ft 34 inseem. I sat on a bones this morning, although not mine, and the bats are not high on me at all but I still like the look of the lower bars.

Old 03-23-2011 | 10:13 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hx3
Daddyknuck, what size cables did you go with? Would appreciate if you could post the part numbers. These are the bars I want to go with. Also, did you use the stock risers or did you have to go with a different set?
Stock cables work fine with careful routing (hence my advice to plan before doing). The only parts I changed were the bars and the little turn-signal nubbin. The nubbin is called a "ball receptacle" (do with that what you will). The part # is 1670899-001 and it looks like it should cost about 50 cents. In Harley world that means they probably want $10 for it. There are lots of these laying around in junk piles. You can probably find one for free if you look.

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I'm 6ft 34 inseem. I sat on a bones this morning, although not mine, and the bats are not high on me at all but I still like the look of the lower bars.
I'm just under 6'3" and I didn't have any trouble with the stock bars. I swapped for looks, and as a benefit I learned that they are a lot more comfortable on a long trip. I do long days on the way to Sturgis and the low bars left my back and shoulders less tired at the end of the day. Of course, I'm old, your mileage may vary.

Old 03-23-2011 | 07:38 PM
Hx3
Road Master

Thanks DaddyKnuck! Appreciate the feedback.

Quick Reply: CrossBones Narrow Beach Bars wire routing?