Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about screamin eagle slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 07:58 PM
jhugs92
|
Advanced
Default question about screamin eagle slip-ons

just received my new screamin eagle slip-ons (part # 80497-07) for my 2007 fxst. while looking at them, i noticed that there were teo bolts in output end, very similar to the old screamin eagle II's with removable baffles. question is, are the baffles really removable as the II's were, or are the bolts in place more for show. i put the slip-on's on, and not real impressed with the sound. would like to make them louder. any info will be appreciated

Old 10-21-2006 | 09:58 PM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Default RE: question about screamin eagle slip-ons

The bolts on the end are a torx "securty tamper proof" bolt. They come out pretty easy by just using a 10mm wrench on the nut inside (stick a eyeglass screwdriver in the torx head if it moves). When you get the baffles out hacksaw the closed end off. I also added a set of thunder monster baffles in the headpipes before the muffler went back on. Sound is good, not to loud. It does make it run leaner but the PC 3 coming in the mail will fix that. I've also done the HD download and the SE Air Cleaner. The bike runs a lot better then it did stock, even running lean, so I'm hoping the PC 3 will finish the package.....for now.

Old 12-25-2006 | 09:19 PM
highman
6th Gear

I just purchased the 2007 SE slip on's and just out of curiosity I removed the (2) bolts. I tried to remove the baffle to the pointI was concerned the much more force would create damage. Is there a trick to removing them or did I not use enough brut force?

Old 12-27-2006 | 11:04 PM
jhugs92
|
Advanced

yes, i found the trick. throw them away and get rush slip-ons, that's what i did. very pleased with 2" baffles. no removing new s/e baffles.

Old 12-28-2006 | 09:09 PM
jackhammer
Tourer

I put my SE ll's on in 2001 when I bought the bike. I was not awhere that you could remove the baffles in these pipes. I thought I read that you couldn't and thats why some chose to ram a pipe through them to get a louder sound and more flow.

Old 12-28-2006 | 10:28 PM
jhugs92
|
Advanced

SE II's = removable baffles; SE= non-removable baffles

Old 12-28-2006 | 11:46 PM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser

Ok so this is news to me. I took the baffles out of my SEII's and oh yeah, they are loud as all get out, but now a question, I have an 05 EFI Nightrain, any problem with me running this setup? I have the stage 1 kit installed.

Old 12-29-2006 | 12:20 AM
highman
6th Gear

Yes they advertise that they are not removable. I spoke to a private shop owner today and he said removing the baffle wasn't difficult. Af'ter removal of the keyed bolts he attaches a slid hammer to the ID of the pipe and pulls it out. I'm due for my 1,000 mile service at which time I'll have a Stage I air cleaner kit and remap done.Once I get it back I'll try removing the baffles. Oldpanrider was sucessful at it and happy with the results.

Old 12-29-2006 | 12:32 AM
highman
6th Gear

sinbadjmu

I'm just learning about this stuff but from my understanding installing a stage I air cleaner kit requires a Re-map. If not you risk the engine running to lean. So as long as you have had it re-mappedwhich increases thefuel mix playing around with the pipes is not a problem.

Old 03-18-2007 | 07:35 AM
Paratrooper
Intermediate

I purchased the SEII's for my Heritage, however over time i found that I wanted a louder sound from my pipes. If I were to do it again, I wouldvewent with some V&Hs or some other straight pipe. Since i dont have a time machine and in the interest of dollars I have opted for Big City Thunder baffle replacements. They are about a $120 and should increase sound and hopefully perfomance. If and when I leave the God forsaken land of AFghanistan I will get them installed and repost my thoughts on the modification.

Here is a picture of the stock baffle (top) and the aftermarket baffle (bottom.)

Quick Reply: question about screamin eagle slip-ons