Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Reflash & Then... Uh Oh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question PCIII Reflash & Then... Uh Oh!

So, I asked a question a week or so ago about which map to use on my Heritage. I have V&H Bigshot Longs, BCT baffles, & Stg 1 intake installed, and asked if I should run the "With Baffles" or "Without Baffles" map. So, I used the "Without" map last weekend, and put about 100-125 miles on the bike without a single hiccup. So, this weekend, I threw on the "With Baffles" version of the map, and headed out on a 150'ish mile ride. I left the house to go meet up with my buddy, roughly 10 miles away. Not a problem with the bike. Met him at the gas station, so I filled up. We left out, and about 15 miles down the road, I decided to take-off a little bit, and I wrapped back on the throttle. I took off, and when I got to about 65-70mph, the bike began to hesitate and pop. After about 4-5 seconds of this, it finally died. I coasted off to the shoulder of the highway. The only thing that I have changed since last weekend's ride was the reflash of the map. I thought that maybe the PCIII had took a dump on me. After trying to restart the bike a couple times, I noticed that the fuel pump was not priming, when I turned on the ignition. I checked the 15amp fuse, and sure enough... blown! Luckily I had a spare fuse with me! I was afraid to see if the bike would blow the fuse again, if I were to get on it... as I didn't have anymore fuses. We continued on, and the bike ran great the rest of the day. Now, do you think the PCIII had anything to do with the fuel pump fuse blowing? Or was this just a freak occurance? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No one? Nothing?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

If I were to make a suggestion it would be to buy some more fuses and do exactly what you did last timetot see if the fuse blew again. If it does then there is the answer and go back to the previous map. If the bike continues to run fine then it was just the fuses time. I never travel without a supply of fuses in my bag.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow... that's hard to imagine that there's a connection between the PC and the fuel pump fuse...

>Maybe< if you had been running for a long distance at high throttle so that the pump had to run continuously to try to keep the pressure up to snuff and it never could catch up. I don't think that the pump is 'variable speed' so I can't imagine that it could get 'overworked' all of a sudden by hitting the throttle.

Changing the map shouldn't be the issue, therefore. A short or a failing pump is more likely, which wouldn't be drastically affected by the map in the case of the pump and never affected in the case of a short by the map.