Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert from PCV to SERT to Direct-Link.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Convert from PCV to SERT to Direct-Link.

Probably the wrong forum, but is more traffic here than in the tech-forum, so here I go.

Got a pretty stock 08 XBones. When I bought it it had the SE-slipons, KN-airfilter and PCV installed.

I'm about to buy a new exhaust and a new air-intake, and I planned to the local dealer to get it tuned. Later on I'm planning to go 106" with new cams and what not, but thats probably late this season or next year. For this, I have to go out of town ( 600km ).

So I called the local shop today. The didn't have a dyno-bench, but claimed they would get it 99% by loading a set map. They also said I should get rid of the PCV and get a SERT ( which I think is bullshit ). But they had no problem finding a map to the PCV so it shouldn't be a problem. So far, so good.

Then I called the other shop where I plan to do the "big" engine upgrade. They used a thing called Direct-Link to flash the ECU. So I guess I have to get rid of the PCV after all sooner or later.

So what do I do now. At present time, the O2-sensors are disconnected due to the PCV, but if Im gonna need them later for the Direct-Link ( do I? ). Then I might as well just disconnect my PCV, so that I can connect the O2-sensors to the new exhaust, and get it tuned with the SERT. Then It will be ready for the Direct-Link tuning. Am I right?

What would you guys do? Do I need the original O2 sensors if I get it tuned with Direct-Link/SERT? If so, I might as well just unplugg the PCV right away, but still, it's sucks to pay several hundred $ for the SERT when my PCV works just as good.....

Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM
rockchalk08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased Direct Link when I did my Stage 1. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't, because now I have to pay for a dyno every time I have the Direct Link "tuned". Plus, you have to find a DirectLink tuner, which I think most dealers use. I wish I had gone either the PC or FuelPak route.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to ask who tunes the DL. I would go with the best of both worlds and get a Powervision or Thundermax. With all of your mods, an auto tune module would certainly pay off. That said, you need to have someone around that knows these computers if something isn't quite right.

I personally stay away from the SERT because the only ones who will tune them usually are Stealers and I don't go there for anything. Too expensive.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

Yeah, wasn't too happy about that SERT-comment ( stealer )either. I've ridden sportsbikes before, and have good experience with the Powercommander. But the place, I plan to do the engineupgrade/big bore ( independent performance-shop ), which is a place that's specialized in Harley-tuning, and theres not alot of them around here, said they recommended the Direct-link or the SE Super Tuner. And that's ok. I'd be happy to get rid of the PCV when that time comes, but what do I do in the meantime.

Guess I just have to take out the O2-sensors with cables and save them for later when I install the new exhaust, and start looking for a map for the Powercommander. Then when it's time for the big upgrade, I'll just unplug the PCV, install the O2-sensors again and have them tune it with the Direct-Link.

As far as dyno-ing, Im not that worried. I don't plan on doing any more performance-upgrades after that, so I won't be needing to take it to the dyno every other week.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
rockchalk08
Cruiser

Dont know if it matters to you, but the DirectLink stays with the bike.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

What do you mean? Don't they just flash the ECU with the direct link, same as the SERT?

Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 AM
rockchalk08
Cruiser

You buy a license key, and (according to my DL tuner) the key stays with the bike.

Hopefully this will help:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-software.html