Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:31 PM
harleybiker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which pipes?

Ready to install new pipes for a better sound and performance but would like some information as to all the jargon that is being tossed around such as "sert", pclll , etc. Can someone finally explain what it all means.........I know you need the HD download as well as the a/c and of course the pipes. But please explain it clearly to me. Thanks.

hb

Old 10-14-2006, 09:28 PM
buzzingstrings
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which pipes?

i am terrible at explaining things....specially things i don't quite have a full handle on myself.....but i do know how to use the power of "search"! these forums have a plethora of info for us info starved people, i learn something new almost daily just by reading what others have gone thru.
try these threads to see if it answers you questions:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_341723/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_653108/tm.htm

cheers

Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The SERT is a tuner which allows you to upload a huge variety of different EFI maps. Depending on which combo of intake or exhaust pipes you install, there is a tuning map in the SERT's catalog to choose from.
It has micro tuning capabilities, and you can change your tuning map any time you change components on your bike.

The one time dealer download is just that, a one time thing.
No changes can be made, no micro tuning and it usually tunes your bike extremely lean.

Spend the extra money and invest in a SERT tuner.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
the big buck
Advanced

look into bassanni pipes...and a powercommanderIII ...youll be verry happy with both...trust me,youll thank me later.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
BlueDeuce
Cruiser

PCIII works great and you can tune it at home. Don't let the dealer talk you into a D/L. It is useless and your bike will still run lean.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

~$400 SERT is most powerful for tuning every little detail. Its also the most complicated and often requires the assistance of a pro. Can raise RPM limit.

~$270 PCIII is good for most people, and much easier to figure out. FuelMoto will take your configuration and make you a map preloaded if you buy from them. It can also raise your RPM limit. http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

~$150 Download is OK, but a lot of people have trouble with them not being 100% correct and end up buying something else anyhow. Can raise RPM limit.

~$240 TFO/DFO is also ok as long as you are stopping at pipes and an A/C. Tuneable at home again. Can not raise RPM limit. http://www.techlusion.com/

~$250 Vance & Hines Fuelpack is only good if you use their pipes. Anything else is hit or miss. Another home job and can not raise RPM. http://www.vanceandhines.com/d100_fuelpak.html

~$500 + $50 for welding There is also the Terry Terminal Velocity system that uses wideband O2 sensors welded into the pipes to constantly control the mixture. I hear good things, but is the most expensive option. Not by much though. Advanced home job (tapping into wires, soldering, welding in bungs) Not sure about RPM limit. http://www.terrycomp.com/tv.html

I am very happy with my PCIII from fuelmoto. Jamie answered all my questions, and preloaded everything exactly as I wanted. I also bought the K&N intake instead of the HD one. It was a bit more $ but the free shipping with the PCIII made up for it.

I put it on last night, took about an hour to do the PCIII (small problem with a broken captive nut) and another 30 to do the A/C. I only got to do a 20 mile test ride, but its great! It's amazing how much power was hiding in the motor.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:35 PM
jigman
Cruiser

Bassani-PCIII

Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
jakblu
Advanced

I bought Python pipes and got the A/C and the download. As mentioned above do not waste your money on the download. I am already looking at buying a PCIII, which would have saved me 120 bones in the long run. There seems to be alot more support for the PC (power commander) and can transfer to a different bike and the SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) is married to the bike from what I understand.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

your bike came with a factory download for the efi.normally when you change pipes ,you are changing that factory installation and setting.when you install new pipes,you are going to need a new map which tells it how to burn lean or rich..i think...on my 2005 fat boy and 2006 superglide,i installed vance and hines big shot staggerds with power commander usb with h.d.maps.i got them set for performance and i increased my gain to at least 10 percent.they both run good.pipes are very loud with baffles.hope this helped.
good luck[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

The dealer download is fine if you put on SE A/C and slipons. If you don't, it's useless. Save your money and get a PCIII. I am exactly where you are and have done a lot of research into A/C options and pipes for my FLSTFI. I am going with the PCIII and a DIY pipe and A/C upgrade. I will be getting my PCIII from Fuelmoto, they will pre-program it based on whatever A/C and pipe combo I put on the bike.

IMO it's a no-brainer.