Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy front fork issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:32 PM
KYFATBOB
|
Tourer
Default Fatboy front fork issue

So hear is the deal, my wifes 08 Fatboy front forks are having an issue I think. I noticed this evening that when I slide my lift under it and jacked it up the front forks decompress about an inch and when I let the jack down they compress down about an inch. So after I moved the jack out of the way I held the front brake and pushed down on the front end and could bottom the forks out with little effort. It has been in the shop twice getting the rear suspension adjusted and worked on in the past 2 weeks, I dont ever remember it being able to bottom out like that before. At the dealership they had the front end pulled down tight with the rear end jacked up so they could work on the rear shocks, could this have caused something to happen? I dont think its a seal busted because there isnt any oil anywhere I could see. I think it could potentially be dangerous for her to ride if she was to hit a bump at high speed, I compared my fat bob to hers and mine didnt decompress at all when lifted up with the jack, and I also held the front brake and tried to bottom it out and could only push it down a couple of inches. Her bike only has 4600 miles on it, so I dont imagine with that few of miles that it has been hurt do to riding... So if anyone has any thoughts please share them before I take it back to the dealer and fly off on them............

Old 03-15-2011 | 10:27 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

I weigh 200 lbs and can barely move my front end down by hand, let alone bottom it out. Something definitely not right.

Old 03-15-2011 | 10:34 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea they screwed something up. I wouldn't let her ride it either, but I would have it back at the deal tomorrow!

Old 03-16-2011 | 07:39 AM
KYFATBOB
|
Tourer

Yea I knew something wasnt right about it, I just wonder if they will turn the tables and say well you could done that when you ratchet strapped it down in the trailer? Not sure what will be the outcome but I hope its in my favor, it hasnt been road since they first worked on the rear suspension so I guess we will wait and see.

Old 03-16-2011 | 08:17 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Something similar happened to a friend of mine's Nightster. He had a small accident, with no damage to the front, it got trailered and the guy who tied it down ratcheted it down too tight. Basically blew out the forks. I don't remember the exact details, but he had to have the forks rebuilt. I would not let her ride it until it is fixed. The good news is, it would be the perfect time for chrome or powdercoated forks and maybe even lowering it....