Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started cutting the fender but need some input please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! I found that the best way to get the radius right is to tie a string to a pencil, stick the pencil in the axle (with the bike on the ground), and tie a sharpie to the other end of the string, at the radius you want. This way the radius will follow the tire, not just the shape of the wheel. Shifting the tire shape forward or backwards makes a difference in how it will look. I found out the hard way with a $40 ebay fender also. Ended up throwing it away!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 AM
jargon51
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Looking good! I found that the best way to get the radius right is to tie a string to a pencil, stick the pencil in the axle (with the bike on the ground), and tie a sharpie to the other end of the string, at the radius you want. This way the radius will follow the tire, not just the shape of the wheel. Shifting the tire shape forward or backwards makes a difference in how it will look. I found out the hard way with a $40 ebay fender also. Ended up throwing it away!
I thought about the same thing and I will more than likely not take the fender to be painted yet because I want to wait until the bike is back on the ground (hopefully this weekend) and make sure that the radius is right with the wheel.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jargon51
Thanks,
next up is to take it for sand blasting and paint. Waiting on the alloy art fender strut mount signals from the good dr. v twin, deciding on a side mount license plate and I should be good. Finishing up the lowering kit for the front end this weekend hopefully and it all goes back together. Hope the weather starts breaking.

J51
Are you doing a side plate with a brake light? The lights are my next step also and i am unexperienced when it comes to that arena. I started a thread for some help with the wiring harness (which wires do what) because all the lights are going to be direct wired now instead of the stock plug-in junctions at the tail light. Got all the info i needed there if you are looking for it.

Also, as a cool side note, harley has an easy plug-in piece that i believe plugs in to the main wiring harness before it feeds towards the rear lights that turns your turn signals into running and brake lights for about $50 i think. If your bike is newer, your signals might already be running lights but mine arent and with just a small brake light on the side mount plate im considering adding the module to increase the visibility from behind. Sorry if this is all old news to you.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
jargon51
Tourer

Originally Posted by maryland blackout
Are you doing a side plate with a brake light? The lights are my next step also and i am unexperienced when it comes to that arena. I started a thread for some help with the wiring harness (which wires do what) because all the lights are going to be direct wired now instead of the stock plug-in junctions at the tail light. Got all the info i needed there if you are looking for it.

Also, as a cool side note, harley has an easy plug-in piece that i believe plugs in to the main wiring harness before it feeds towards the rear lights that turns your turn signals into running and brake lights for about $50 i think. If your bike is newer, your signals might already be running lights but mine arent and with just a small brake light on the side mount plate im considering adding the module to increase the visibility from behind. Sorry if this is all old news to you.
Yes I am going to do a side mount but I am undecided on if I am going to get one with a brake light or not. I might go the route of having my new signals function as running and brake lights once I get them. I am sure the information will come in very handy either way.

Thanks,

J51

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

Brown and black for right turn, purple and black for left turn, yellow/red is running, and blue is brake (I think, from memory. I just hard wired my backend last weekend).

Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM
jargon51
Tourer

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Brown and black for right turn, purple and black for left turn, yellow/red is running, and blue is brake (I think, from memory. I just hard wired my backend last weekend).

NICE!!!! Thanks brother!

J51

Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer

Man that's lookin' great! I cut mine with a jigsaw and a fine tooth metal blade...I was about ready to sandblast and paint it and realized I had cut too much from the sides and it was gonna look dirt bikish...so back to ebay I go

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain

I feel your pain!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikersurgeon
Man that's lookin' great! I cut mine with a jigsaw and a fine tooth metal blade...I was about ready to sandblast and paint it and realized I had cut too much from the sides and it was gonna look dirt bikish...so back to ebay I go
That fender is unbelievably cool. I've never seen that done. The lights look they would give some clearance issues... but this also looks like a quick mock up and i'm sure you have a plan to set the lights right

Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer

LOL....I kinda like it, man! Did you fabricate a swingarm fender mount or find a kit somewhere?? I was thinking of trying to salvage my attempt by mounting my fender to the swingarm too.

Quick Reply: Started cutting the fender but need some input please