Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started cutting the fender but need some input please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM
jargon51
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
i agree. It looks good but if you are going to trim the edges, really trim the edges.

Drew
I agree as well. I think I need to get the bike on the ground though to be sure of where I need to cut or should I just pick a line and go with it???

Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might want to think about rounding off the back corners so they flow a bit more to the curve of the bottom edge. I did when i cut my fender and it really made a nice difference on the lines of the fender and the bike. The straight across cut just looked unfinished to me. I started a thread and ive got a picture of the fender on post #8. I don't have the shocks on and fender lowered down to give the full look but it gives a decent idea. Just sent mine to paint last week

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...nter-work.html

Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
I think you should cut it a lil shorter bro leave a lil more tire exposed
Sez the guy who doesn't, haha, just razzin'!

Jargon, what kinda bike is that chopped FB fender going on? Think it will look great when your done. Just need to clean up the radius and even it out. It's a hard thing to do. Last time I messed with that I had a bunch of spark holes in my car that was parked too close.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
jargon51
Tourer

Originally Posted by FXBadass
Sez the guy who doesn't, haha, just razzin'!

Jargon, what kinda bike is that chopped FB fender going on? Think it will look great when your done. Just need to clean up the radius and even it out. It's a hard thing to do. Last time I messed with that I had a bunch of spark holes in my car that was parked too close.
Going on an '06 NT. I was just about to get back at it but I think I'll wait till tomorrow now.

Thanks,

J

Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
jargon51
Tourer

Originally Posted by maryland blackout
might want to think about rounding off the back corners so they flow a bit more to the curve of the bottom edge. I did when i cut my fender and it really made a nice difference on the lines of the fender and the bike. The straight across cut just looked unfinished to me. I started a thread and ive got a picture of the fender on post #8. I don't have the shocks on and fender lowered down to give the full look but it gives a decent idea. Just sent mine to paint last week

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...nter-work.html
Nice, thanks for the input. I'll get at it again tomorrow.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobberevo88
i think you should cut it a lil shorter bro leave a lil more tire exposed
+1

might want to think about rounding off the back corners so they flow a bit more to the curve of the bottom edge.
+1

Old 03-15-2011, 12:03 PM
jargon51
Tourer

okay well I don't have photo shop so I figured I would try to edit the fender using paint. The part that's blacked out is what I'm going to cut off this evening. Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Started cutting the fender but need some input please-paint.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer

looking good. Just make sure you don't cut too shallow or you get that big gap between the tire and fender like a dirt bike. When i did mine i just measured points from the corner of the fender (not the same length in each direction) and then drew a straight line to connect the points. I taped over the triangle i was about to cut off to get a mental picture of what it would look like removed and then hit it with the wheel. Put a grinding bit on and curved the edges until they flowed.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
I think you should cut it a lil shorter bro leave a lil more tire exposed
just remember: the shorter you cut it all the way to the peak of the fender arch, the bigger the vertical gap between the fender and tire appears

Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
jargon51
Tourer

looking good. Just make sure you don't cut too shallow or you get that big gap between the tire and fender like a dirt bike. When i did mine i just measured points from the corner of the fender (not the same length in each direction) and then drew a straight line to connect the points. I taped over the triangle i was about to cut off to get a mental picture of what it would look like removed and then hit it with the wheel. Put a grinding bit on and curved the edges until they flowed.

Thanks, I'll be sure to post pics later tonight

Quick Reply: Started cutting the fender but need some input please