Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed clutch cable - will not roll in gear with clutch pulled

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011 | 02:30 PM
mattHD
|
Novice
Default Changed clutch cable - will not roll in gear with clutch pulled

Changed clutch cable and now it will not roll in gear with clutch pulled. Would this be the main adjustment on the basket or could it be something else?

Old 03-14-2011 | 04:56 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

would it really do it before? may sound silly, but mine is actually difficult to roll like that if the motor is not running....

Old 03-14-2011 | 04:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

If you want to roll it put it in neutral. Clutch drag causes this problem but I consider it to be "normal" on this style bike.

Drew

Old 03-14-2011 | 06:23 PM
Budmiester
Tourer

Ditto. Where does the clutch engage when your taking off? If it's within specs, the Hogs don't like to roll in gear with the clutch engaged. I have mine set to engage at about 1/2 in. lever release, which translates to the factory spec of 1/16 to 1/8 in gap between the cable end (ferrule) and the clutch lever bracket with the clutch lever static (just sitting there). If you changed the cable, did you do it without a manual? Hats off to you if you did. The adustment is in the cable, under the accordian rubber boot.

And now for a bit of a rant. If you've got a Service Manual, Great! If not, get one. (A MOCO one, not the cheap knock-offs you can find online, but that's a different thread). I am, by trade, an airline mechanic. I can kill more people with a single mistake than a surgeon will his entire career. I am, by Federal Law, required to use the most up to date maintenance information to do the job at hand. When I wrench on my scooter, I'm concerned with saving one ***. Mine. It would really suck to have the clutch cable let loose at 70mph in traffic and lock up the whole tranny drive line because I missed something. I don't do anything on the bike unless I have a good idea of what I'm doing. If you don't have a manual, I'm sure Dr. V-Twin can hook you up. The feedback around here is real good, and he's a big supporter of this forum. Works for me.

I'll get off my soap box now and get back to my fender swap project. March 14 and there's 3 FREAKIN INCHES Of MF'ing SNOW On The GROUND! This winter blows.

Old 03-14-2011 | 09:47 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

99 Heritage wouldn't do it with stock clutch. 07 Heritage won't do it with stock clutch. 07 Wide Glide won't do it with stock clutch. Now you say it won't do it with a new clutch. Now I'm not going to change my clutch. I'll just keep putting it in neutral.

Old 03-15-2011 | 08:14 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

Originally Posted by mattHD
Changed clutch cable and now it will not roll in gear with clutch pulled. Would this be the main adjustment on the basket or could it be something else?
If it will roll in neutral fine... if it will sit with the engine running and not try to roll forward fine... after a while it will start rolling with just the clutch pulled in again.

Old 03-15-2011 | 09:27 AM
Ed McLellan
Advanced

Yep, I just changed the cables on mine. Same thing wouldn't roll in neutral but it doesn't lurch ahead or anything either. Just give it some time I guess...

Last edited by Ed McLellan; 03-15-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 03-15-2011 | 09:43 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mattHD
"They all do that"
---every HD dealer in the world's answer to most bike problems. In this case, it's actually true.

Old 03-15-2011 | 03:31 PM
sledhead140
Tourer

if the bike is not running its fine. i went through this myself when i replaced my cable and thought something was wrong. it will only roll when the clutch cable is pulled in when the bike is running.