Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S%S carbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S%S carbs

Any feedback on S&Scarbs.? My 92 FLSTC came with one .It seems to function fine.Backfired until I put a aS&S filter.Prior to that it a HD wire and wet foam filter on it /.It sound like its sucking air when I first crank it.Im running straight pipes and just installed 4 " baffles to quiet it down some.It did not seem to affect drivability .I dont know if it was rejetted prior to me owning it .Will baffles makeit too lean/hot ?I noticed the baffles are now black in 1 week of riding.It has good acceleration and idle.It no longer backfires either.My concern is running too hot/lean and the inner pipes /baffles being black(inner pipes were black when I bought it )It actually runs great ..Im familar with reversion etc...to a certain point.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Doc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S%S carbs

Pull the plugs and take a look. Plugs will tell you if it is running lean or rich.... (Depending on how long the old plugs were installed with the straight pipes, spend the $6.00 and put 2 new plugs in. The condition of the old plugs could be old results and would give you a false read) Doc

Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

Backfired out the carb? That meant you were too lean. Putting the baffles in would cause you to run a bit richer, and since you no longer have backfires, and the baffles are black, you're probably OK.

S&S carbs are the best of the throttle plate carbs. Easily tuned, and S&S will help you if you have a problem. What are you running, S&S E?

Old 06-30-2005, 10:11 AM
dert
Road Master

Will replace plugs this weekend .Rode lastnight and and it " done good" All suggestions and info are appreciated ,dert in Tx.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
dert
Road Master

Correct,"E" carb...There is a blocked off tube just to the side of the plate and below the choke .There is a vent tube below frame,which I have attached a filter..This must be an older carb as the diagrams I have looked at do not show this (the tube is part of the carb and has a rubber "nipple " over it ). The tube opening is facing the rear of the carb I havent had a chance to inquire about at the local shop.Any idea ??(I believe it is an E )
Didnt find any letters in obvious places

Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dert, I have been fortunate with my S&S, but know of some guys that have had some backfiring issues. Check out the S&S setup sheet as it has some adjustment info as well.

http://www.sscycle.com/temp/instruct...et/51-1012.pdf