Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Fabricate a iPhone Charger Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Anyone Fabricate a iPhone Charger Cable?

Wondering if anyone has just fabricated their own, using a SAE two-pin connector and a USB charging cable? Looks like it should be doable, but before diving in I figured I'd see if someone has already blazed the trail?

Roger

Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I carry a powerlet cigarette lighter (www.powerlet.com) to sae plug (battery tender) withme and a IPhone car charger. Just plug it in when needed.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I got the Powerlet that connects directly to the battery so I did not have to add a cig lighter.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a nice clean look but expensive from cycle sounds.

Or search on ebay for 12v USB port and modify something to work.

This is cool to
http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_TAPP.htm

Last edited by PhantomMaxx; 03-14-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: updated
Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
I carry a powerlet cigarette lighter (www.powerlet.com) to sae plug (battery tender) withme and a IPhone car charger. Just plug it in when needed.
Yep, I got a Powerlet adapter too. That way I can charge any cell phone, GPS, Ipod, whatever. Lot easier than a DIY connector for a Iphone direct to battery. At Wal mart, for $12-15 you can buy a good dual USB cigarette lighter charger that fits right in the Powerlet, flush with the end.

Last edited by brenn; 03-14-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I can get you guys all the cycle soudns stuff at a discount. Send me a link and i can price it for you.

Drew

Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks guys... I don't want a cigarette lighter accessory plug, and the Powerlet adapter has the big choke or circuitry enclosure/whatever too close to the iPhone plug for what I have in mind.

I'll do some more searching for generic USB stuff as suggested, but it seemed like it should be pretty trivial for a bunch of enterprising DIY'ers such as those who reside here!

Thanks again,
Roger

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need the full size USB plug? My GPS runs off a mini-USB. I tore the original cigarette lighter adaper apart and wired direct to my battery, but then for $15 I found a charger online that did the same thing but much neater. Oh well, live and learn!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
Do you need the full size USB plug? My GPS runs off a mini-USB. I tore the original cigarette lighter adaper apart and wired direct to my battery, but then for $15 I found a charger online that did the same thing but much neater. Oh well, live and learn!

remember where you found it online?

Old 03-29-2011, 01:36 PM
jasonmb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
The powerlet folks made a cable for me, goes directly from the iphone to the sae battery tender connecter. It has a inline fuse and the power reducer (dont remember the fancy word they used) to make sure the iphone got the correct amount of juice. Its 24" long (they could have made any length). I plug my iphone in and drop it in the saddle bag when i need a charge. Has worked great for the past several months. Cost was about 45 i believe with shipping.

Quick Reply: Anyone Fabricate a iPhone Charger Cable?