Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker C - Hard starting lately, now clutch won't catch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
phantom rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker C - Hard starting lately, now clutch won't catch

Here is the deal... lately I have had a hard time getting the bike started. May be battery (6 months old) although I went and had it tested at autozone and they are saying it is fine. It would try to start and then click, click, click.... It seemed like the clutch wasn't working correctly, so I did the clutch cable adjustment per the service manual. Used the lawnmower battery to help get it started and bam it started right up. Put it in gear and let out on the clutch and nothing. It was in gear but wasn't catching. I put it back up on the lift and noticed that even with it in gear you could spin the back wheel. Tried a couple of different adjustments with the clutch and still nothing. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phantom-
Two seperate issues. 1. Get a new battery 2. You are turned out to many times on the clutch adjuster. The book doesnt give it right when adjusting the clutch adjuster, suggest turning the adjuster in while watching the clutch lever...once it starts moving about 1/2 way then tighten the nut up and you should be good to go.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phantom rider
Here is the deal... lately I have had a hard time getting the bike started. May be battery (6 months old) although I went and had it tested at autozone and they are saying it is fine. It would try to start and then click, click, click.... It seemed like the clutch wasn't working correctly, so I did the clutch cable adjustment per the service manual. Used the lawnmower battery to help get it started and bam it started right up. Put it in gear and let out on the clutch and nothing. It was in gear but wasn't catching. I put it back up on the lift and noticed that even with it in gear you could spin the back wheel. Tried a couple of different adjustments with the clutch and still nothing. Any help is appreciated.
Per your service manual, you need to take the derby cover off the primary and do your clutch adjustment on the clutch pack.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
phantom rider
Tourer

did take the derby cover off... Rocket...trying that now.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
phantom rider
Tourer

Ok... rocket, did that. Still same issue. I remember that the all the times I have worked on this bike before, if the bike is in gear then one can not spin the rear wheel. Right now, with the bike in gear, I can spin the rear wheel. There is a little more resistance than when it is neutral, but it still spins.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phantom- What you are describing is the clutch adjustment prob....done that to me too...its frustrating adj the clutch but I am positive that is what your describing. It seems hopeless after awhile but keep tightening a 1/4 turn at a time on that clutch adjuster.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
phantom rider
Tourer

Thanks Rocket....Got it figured out. Went for a quick run and all is back to normal. Pulled battery and will take it in tomorrow to see what's up with it.

Last edited by phantom rider; 03-13-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 AM
duluth
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Phantom so what was the final problem? Reason i am asking is i am going to be changing the clutch cable on my Rocker to a chrome one and if i run into a problem maybe what you did will help me. I Have the factory manual and i have been reading all the posts on other peoples clutch adjustment problems and what the solution was,too much information is never enough.
Thank You
Mark