Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions and ideas on a direction for my Train...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 AM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions and ideas on a direction for my Train...

SO...I'm deployed (again) to Iraq, as civilian this time, and looking to do some mods to my Train this summer. Thought I had a picture of what I wanted, but now not sure.

I am for sure going to put on some 422's and drop in springs. I also just picked up some 14" wild 1 chubby's from a forum member.

I was going to powder the lowers Black, and go that route because it appeals to me, but some days I think maybe the whole murdered out look is starting to fade. Now I'm confused.

No offense to the MoCo, but it seems like by the time they get on board with something, it's past it's prime.

Dont get me wrong, I like the classic black (of course, hence the Train), but I like some west coast style too.

I need ideas!

Would a combo murdered, lowered train/west coast whitwall, cool paint look ridiculous? How would I pull it off? A well designed bike needs to look like it's not random crap slapped together, I just cant get a good picture in my head.

I LOVE so many bikes and styles that I cant get a clear picture of my finished product in my head.

Story808, Tx Oulaw, Saintslax, bobberevo, Drew, etc.

I dont have cash for Heartland, air rides, etc. but I dont want to end up with a hideous frankenstein.

IF YOU WERE ME, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Here's where we're at now...almost stock, with some little bolt ons, solo, and 2nd hand Street Bob bars.

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions and ideas on a direction for my Train...-picture013.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 AM
booger 18
Cruiser

Dude...bike looks hot...my idea would be to black out the lowers, turn sigs, headlight,and go with some black contrast cut rims...now it looks like you have some blue striping in seat...put some " west coast flare " with some pin striping on tins...you have enough chrome around the engine area to still be leaning away from the " murdered out look"...oh, maybe get away from bobtail fender....just my 2 cents.....

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you could get a 200mm white wall, and I don't think that would look to good either.

I think your bike is looking good, put the 422's in and maybe get a "gangster" styled front fender.

I did this for mods last year.

went from this

to this

Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

422's, larger front fender (KustomWorks- mine was $170) and perhaps a strutless rear fender?

No other mods make a Train, a TRAIN.

Mine went from this to this:

Attached Thumbnails Need opinions and ideas on a direction for my Train...-old-train2.jpg   Need opinions and ideas on a direction for my Train...-hqtrain.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, your sled looks good!

Yea don't confuse the issue with blends of style. You already have the bike going in the right direction and if it were mine today, this is what I would do.

Black upper fork ribbed rubber covers
Black out the fork lowers
chop the back fender
replace front fender with a black cow cutter fender
Lower the entire bike front and back
Yaffee skirt blower exhaust/pipes
change front wheel to a black and edgecut style aluminium

mean while, you can personalize all the controls, linkages, covers etc... to match the flow of your sled.

It took me 19 months to get mine to match my vision. Don't lose focus even if it takes 3 or 4 years. It's very satisfiying when you accomplish whats in your head.

Forget about the fads, they come and they go and they come again. There is one thing that will never die and that is a BADASS sled, reguardless of the current fade.

Like I said bro, your bike looks really good now, but stay focused!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Jim stated, make your plans and stay in the form. Believe me, you can spend a LOT of money changing ideas in mid-path. Look thru the pics thru-out the forums and decide your vision. Slowly proceed until you reach your goal.......

Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree on the "vision" thing. I had a vision in my head for my bike from the day I drove it off the dealer lot and it's pretty damned close at this point. I wanted a low, long, matte black "Mad Max" style Train with VERY little chrome.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Blast Tyrant
2nd Gear

Jim hit the nail on the head. Follow your own style, make the bike the way you want it. Don't worry about what other people think. BadA$$ bike's come in all colors, shapes, makes & models.

BTW...Thanks for your service to our country!! Be safe!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
County98
Tourer

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Honestly, your sled looks good!

Black upper fork ribbed rubber covers

Weird you mention that, I've already got some gators on order, lol.

I hear all of ya and alot of good ideas.

The problem is I HAD my vision, but now not so sure. Not worried about what the latest fad is, but starting to think the full blown blackout is getting overplayed a little. Hell, even Yamaha has blacked out cruisers (not that there's anything wrong with that, I spent many years on imports).

I usually know exactly what I want the end product to look like in my noodle, but find myself looking at the SoCal bikes now as much as the Trains.

Hmmm, I need ideas on how to blend the styles without looking funky. Alot of ideas are cool by themselves but don't mesh right when it's all together.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

love those trains! cool bikes

Quick Reply: Need opinions and ideas on a direction for my Train...