Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My hat goes off to u guys that ride withou a windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't sport shields, although heavy downpours do suck. Wear 3/4 helmets when it is cold out or do highway runs far away, etc. Our bikes would not look right with them and I think shields would be a pain to clean and to see through. Most people in my parts wear full face helmets, shields and fluorescent jackets so we stand out from the norm. I don't care for shields, unless it is on a Street Glid or Road Glide.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
Tried it today for the 1st time on the hwy and got to say it was a very unpleasant experience for me. Didn't like the dirt in the face, couldn't even hear the bike b/c of the wind noise, had white knuckle ride to hang on from the wind, couldn't hear cars coming up on me etc.....

Got to say there wasn't anything about riding on the hwy that I liked without my shield.

I don't mind the cruising around the side roads without it but that's about it.

I do however respect the he** out of you guys that do ride without it on the hwy because to me that is hard core!
I'm with ya on that...love my shield !

Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm fine without one. I rock a FF helmet all the time though. Cruising 70-80 mph is not a problem.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
FreddyJ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use my shield most of the time. Unless going to bike night or something like that. definitely think it looks better without it. Although I did cut mine down almost 3 inches.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
HDJay
Stage IV

I went on a trip with 10 friends from Greenville SC to Key West and I was the only one without a shield and it was in may "love bug season" in FL . but the Street Bob just wouldnt look right with a shield !!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Sold the Deluxe and got my Blackline. I bought the shield with it for winter or long rides but I took it off at delivery and its not been back on. I actually prefer it off.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I posted earlier in the thread, but after a summer of riding without it (and when it is off, the custom ear plugs are IN), I prefer without. The ear plugs are necessary because the wind noise, to me is *painful*.

But on long trips and cold temps, I prefer the shield.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I posted earlier in the thread, but after a summer of riding without it (and when it is off, the custom ear plugs are IN), I prefer without. The ear plugs are necessary because the wind noise, to me is *painful*.

But on long trips and cold temps, I prefer the shield.
Why do you prefer with out it.I have been thinking about getting one.Do they really help? I find with the 16" Carlinis and 200 mile days. I am pretty beat when I get home.Just wondering if a shield would take the edge off.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Malingerer
Why do you prefer with out it.I have been thinking about getting one.Do they really help? I find with the 16" Carlinis and 200 mile days. I am pretty beat when I get home.Just wondering if a shield would take the edge off.
It definitely helps on longer rides. I rode the other day without it, but regretted it for the 65+mph speeds on a 150+mile day, my helmet felt like it was constantly about to pop off, tugging at my chin, etc. And I was cold (never got above about 63)

For the shorter around-town/bar hops, especially on warm days its definitely off, I like the wind in my face and the cleaner look

Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Malingerer
wow, usually a day trip for me is right at 800 miles. no shield, never had never will.

Quick Reply: My hat goes off to u guys that ride withou a windshield