Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile dot helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
I got my Outlaw yesterday, too small....I went by the sizing chart too. One of my brothers wanted to see it when I got it, as he and his OL are on the hunt for decent looking DOTs. It fit her so she bought it. He is trying to find a XL, but everyone seems to be out of stock....I am still on the hunt
Crap, mine comes Friday, hope it isn't too small for my fat head.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM
SkyKeeper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can't answer any of your questions, but I ordered the Lick's NOVDOT, and its WAAAAYYYYY smaller than the other 3/4 DOT that I had, way lighter also. I'm happy w/ it

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I'm ressurrecting this thread, although it's only been 3 days since the last post..

I got my hands on a SkidLid Naked Shorty for like $30 on Amazon, it came in and it's a decent looking helmet.. but its honestly almost the same size as my DOT Harley half-helmet.. it's maybe an eighth of an inch narrower on each side, but just as round on top.. so i'm not to happy about it. Oh it also makes my head itch. Anywho, not the point..

The point is.. the more i see them, the more i like 3/4 helmets. So I'm debating between a Bell 500, and a RockHard American Classic.. I know someone on here said they liked the Bell 500, but i'm also looking for something that sits low on my head.. the Rockhard (from pictures i've seen) looks like it sits lower than the Bell. it's also $10 cheaper, but doesn't come in the color i want (gloss black to match my Lo)..

Anywho.. is anyone familiar with the Rockhard at all? or have more input on the topic?

Side question..when looking up things on the Bell 500 and RockHard, I kept seeing references to "Fulmer V2" but their website doesn't work, and when I try to do "shopping" on google, it brings up the RockHard... are they the same company or something?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Never heard of Lick 3/4. Found this info; how Lick described the 3/4 low profile helmet appearance:

actually the way the novdot fits is very low on the brow.. the face cutout looks high but the lid opening actually still goes down to the brow...giving the sides of the helmet a longer look to the shoulders reminisant of a true vintage...this fitment tends to give a look that ur melon is actually in the helmet...not the helmet on top of ur head.......as for sizing...when we do post the helmets...the chart will be listed as well...and yes...the next shell is smaller for the xs/small size....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/8090383-post33.html

Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
SkyKeeper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Never heard of Lick 3/4. Found this info; how Lick described the 3/4 low profile helmet appearance:

actually the way the novdot fits is very low on the brow.. the face cutout looks high but the lid opening actually still goes down to the brow...giving the sides of the helmet a longer look to the shoulders reminisant of a true vintage...this fitment tends to give a look that ur melon is actually in the helmet...not the helmet on top of ur head.......as for sizing...when we do post the helmets...the chart will be listed as well...and yes...the next shell is smaller for the xs/small size....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/8090383-post33.html
It's a brand new helmet, they just started shipping them out a couple weeks ago. Also, they use 4 different shell sizes, so they don't just take a big shell and stuff it w/ more padding to make a smaller size.
http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2147

Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by akatripp
Ive had this helme(outlaw)it pretty big, Ive tried several and no matter what you do your going to get that mushroom effect unless you go with a skid lid, now I value my face/brains too much to take that chance so I ended up with a DAYTONA SKULL CAP its DOT and the profile is the smallest Ive found; the outside of the helmets fluctutates with the size you wear. Nevertheless your still gonna get some of that mushroom effect-what I do is get a size or even 2 smaller then hammer the f#@k out of it! It helps elimate alot of that big head look BUT it also lessens the cushioning.....it still is better than a skid lid thou. I measure between a med/small & got a Xsmall then turned the hemet upside down and just hammmered away until the inside is not as thick with padding. Been doing this for years and as I said it does probably reduce the grade of protection BUT it still is much better than a skid lid and is still DOT...
Originally Posted by SkyKeeper
It's a brand new helmet, they just started shipping them out a couple weeks ago. Also, they use 4 different shell sizes, so they don't just take a big shell and stuff it w/ more padding to make a smaller size.
http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2147
Let see some pics of it on.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
turkey
Cruiser

I have the rockhard 3/4 and can confirm it's the least bobble head like out of the 3 I've tried ( bell 500 fulmer) great helmet sits pretty low. I want to see it next to the licks that is the only one I could see replacing it. Their site says they are taking preorders for the next batch

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 PM
recon7
Cruiser

Got my Outlaw AX-30020 today. Went by the sizing chart and it fits perfectly. Not quite as small as my ACC novelty, but a LOT smaller than my HCI. Smallest DOT I've ever put on my head. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with it. I will need to buy a quick-release for it, but should be good to go after that is installed!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not bad right Recon... it's dot... I just ordered two quick releases for me and the wife... lol The straps could have been done better though but I'm happy with mine!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Jmarin9485
Novice

Even the skid lids will make your head look like a mushroom. Ive just been using the novelty ones. The shell is legit but with out all the padding. I guess that doesn't make it DOT but at least your skull wont crack open.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

well here in Tennessee, I got stopped last weekend by a trooper and had a novelty lid on, and got a $140 ticket. Yeah, $140 bucks. So Im now looking to get a LOW profile DOT helmet. I like the Licks, but still used to my Lid. Thinkin about the Outlaw, just dont want to look like Im mushroomed out. LOL

Quick Reply: Low profile dot helmet?