Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile dot helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Low profile helmet

I also have a Skid Lid.
Supposedly this is the smallest DOT approved helmet you can buy.
(at least it was a few years ago when I bought it)
Anyway, it's so small that a state trooper pulled me over for it.
I showed him the sticker on the back and the certification on the inside (yeah, they'll check the inside too) and I was back on my merry way.

Lesson here, be careful with those novelty helmets and homemade DOT stickers.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Rusty999
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
Im still wearing my ACC Carbon Fiber, I still think it was one of the smallest and lightest. its too bad they went out of business.
They didn't go out of business, they were closed down by DOT for selling the carbon fiber helmet as a DOT approved motorcycle helmet, which was not!

Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM
recon7
Cruiser

Good info here. Can't find an Outlaw in a Medium right now, so I will keep searching.

Does anyone know if the only differences in the Outlaw AX-300x0 series are the colors? The 30010 is glossy carbon, the 30020 is red, and the 30030 is matte carbon.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ordered mine today in matte carbon fiber....
Story, your buddy didn't have any, so I went through LeatherUp. I measured and am pretty sure large is going to do it, we shall see.....

Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by recon7
Good info here. Can't find an Outlaw in a Medium right now, so I will keep searching.

Does anyone know if the only differences in the Outlaw AX-300x0 series are the colors? The 30010 is glossy carbon, the 30020 is red, and the 30030 is matte carbon.

Thanks
They are the same - different colors. The pics I posted are the matte black.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you found one and hard to beat leather ups price anyway... It's DOT so no more wondering if I'll get stopped at the gate coming on base and thats the best part. I have 6 helmets Bell 500, Biltwell, Harley, Skid Lid, Voss, and the Outlaw, and like Kuma said it is also my go to helmet now-a-days... I kinda wish it came down a little more but because it doesn't it more comfy if I'm wearing my leather jacket cause it doesn't touch the my jacket at the back of the neck... I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
akatripp
Stage II

Originally Posted by alika808
ADVICE PLEASE. IM LOOKING TO BUY THE SMALLEST, LOW PROFILE ,HALF HELMET BUT AT THE SAME TIME DOT APPROVED. I FOUND THIS HELMET THAT ACTUALLY SHOWS A PIC OF THE INSIDE PADDING http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-He...et/147783.html

IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH A GOOD LOW PROFILE DOT PLEASE SEND INFO MY WAY THANKS
Ive had this helme(outlaw)it pretty big, Ive tried several and no matter what you do your going to get that mushroom effect unless you go with a skid lid, now I value my face/brains too much to take that chance so I ended up with a DAYTONA SKULL CAP its DOT and the profile is the smallest Ive found; the outside of the helmets fluctutates with the size you wear. Nevertheless your still gonna get some of that mushroom effect-what I do is get a size or even 2 smaller then hammer the f#@k out of it! It helps elimate alot of that big head look BUT it also lessens the cushioning.....it still is better than a skid lid thou. I measure between a med/small & got a Xsmall then turned the hemet upside down and just hammmered away until the inside is not as thick with padding. Been doing this for years and as I said it does probably reduce the grade of protection BUT it still is much better than a skid lid and is still DOT...

Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

Man, they sure take their time shipping, ordered it on the 15th, estimated delivery is the 23rd

Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
akatripp
Stage II

Originally Posted by alika808
ADVICE PLEASE. IM LOOKING TO BUY THE SMALLEST, LOW PROFILE ,HALF HELMET BUT AT THE SAME TIME DOT APPROVED. I FOUND THIS HELMET THAT ACTUALLY SHOWS A PIC OF THE INSIDE PADDING http://www.leatherup.com/p/Outlaw-He...et/147783.html

IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH A GOOD LOW PROFILE DOT PLEASE SEND INFO MY WAY THANKS
Ive had this lid(Outlaw) its pretty big. You cant get away with the mushroom effect with a DOT grade. As much as I hate this look I value my face/head/brains too much to take vanity over protection. What I have done for the longest time is compromise. I like the DAYTONA SKULL CAP helmet its the smalllest profile Ive found the helmet size(outside) flucuates with the size you order then I hamnmer the f*#k out of it! I know this probably does reduce the grade of the DOT cerification but its better than a skid lid for sure. I wear a med/small and order a X_small then turn that baby over and just hammer away untill I take out some of the bulk and dont forget to hammer the top so that it will sit further down on your head. works for me and eliminates ALOT of the bulk you get from a DOT helmet. REMEMBER it does probably take up some of the impact protection but not as fragile as a skid lid. The Daytona is the smallest Ive fpund and Ive looked and owned many helmets. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Man, they sure take their time shipping, ordered it on the 15th, estimated delivery is the 23rd

Where did you order from?

Quick Reply: Low profile dot helmet?