Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low profile dot helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Fabrikator
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I got the info, Basically they had them made, and dont really want to divulge the manufacturers name (which I can understand).. They know what they have, because they got them in from hella people coming in asking for a low pro DOT helmet.

I paid $119 + tax CDN ... I know its alot more than others, but I said screw it, after having ordered a helmet online and having them send me the wrong size, I just wanted to get something I could at least try on before I buy.

so the Company is called JARZ performance, based out of Abbotsford, BC

thier website is http://www.jarzperformance.com

email is jarz@telus.net

phone: (604) 852-4243
fax (604) 852-1772

Ask for Murray Cowell.

Basically they have 2 types he said, each of which fit a bit different (different manufacturer for each). they have the traditional strap like mine, which come in flat or gloss black. and they also have one with a quick release snap strap, also available in flat black or gloss black.

I cant speak for the fitment of the quick release, and they were closing so I couldnt try one on.. but maybe this weekend when Im free ill maybe try one and take pics for you guys.

Murray said just to ask for thier DOT beanie, in either traditional strap or quick release .. its the only one they carry, and he Is of course willing to ship anywhere in Canada and the US.

hope that helps.. tell em the boys at BG sent ya lol .

Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 PM
PearlWhiteGT
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will definitely order one if it is DOT approved. It looks great!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FAB, you are the MAN. Appreciate the hell out of you. Im calling them tomorrow, just hope they have one in stock. What size did you get? or what size is your head? I wear a large in other helmets. Gonna ask them about sizes too. Is this the smallest DOT helmet that you've seen?

Once again Thanks Fab

Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Fabrikator
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryDeluxe
FAB, you are the MAN. Appreciate the hell out of you. Im calling them tomorrow, just hope they have one in stock. What size did you get? or what size is your head? I wear a large in other helmets. Gonna ask them about sizes too. Is this the smallest DOT helmet that you've seen?

Once again Thanks Fab

No prob, I wear a 7 7/8 in a fitted cap.. (yea I know I got a big *** head lol) I bought a XXL, i tried the XL but it was a bit too tight on the sides, Id say the XL is for a max 7 3/4, and that might even be pushing it.

its def the smallest profile DOT helmet ive tried on, with my big *** head, any of the helmets with hella padding inside makes me look like Rick Mornis as Dark helmet in spaceballs.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Awesome, If you do get a chance to get by there this weekend, take some more pics for us. I will pay the extra cash, if its a custom made helmet, that DOT. Freakin ****

Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
SFTL 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabrikator
Pics

Gonna hopefully try it out this weekend if the weather permits, Will give you guys feedback.

Nice looking lid, but personally I'm not buying that it meets DOT standards. DOT helmet compliance (FMVSS 218) is based on the honor system? The government relies on the manufacturer's word that the helmet was tested and passed! Yes, the Fed does test, but they do very, very limited testing of helmets. In 2001, they tested 40 helmets. Under the honor system and 20% of the limited number of helmets tested failed! If a helmet fails, the data is publish and the manufacturer is required to bring the product into compliance. Helmets from manufactured by AFX, Fulmer, HJC, M2R, NEXL and THH have failed, do you think there are others out there that might fail the performance test?

You need to ask yourself if you believe that this small mfg has been able to come up a technology and/or process that dozens of other larger & better capitalized helmet mfg have not been able to duplicated? I'm sure I'll get some sh&$ on this, but after seeing how thin your helmet was I felt compelled to call BS...

Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Nah, your not goin to get any sh*t bro. Your allowed your opinion. SFTL, But, when a state trooper stops you as long as it has that hard Paddin in it and has the DOT on the outside as well as the inside, it will pass with him. I asked a Trooper in my area and he said as long as it has the Hard padding and the DOT requirements on the inside and outside, you will be fine. Its the lids that have little or no padding is what they are looking for. He said that hes seen helmets that have the less than one inch hard padding that passed. Passed as in, he was ok with it. Now if your dead set on a Genuine DOT helmet for safety then, I dont think the one Fab posted will really do you any better than a Novelty. But to each his own. JHMO

Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 PM
OlGrampy
Advanced

I went out on a limb and ordered a Helmet Inc DOT beanie helmet from Dennis Kirk @ $36.99, YAA ,YAA, I know you don't get protection as with a 3/4 or full face, but I like the freedom of a half-shell for day trips. I like a 3/4 for bad weather and long rides. Anyhoo, they are on track to be here Fri. , I will take a pic and post it for anyone interested.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
SFTL 1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CountryDeluxe
Nah, your not goin to get any sh*t bro. Your allowed your opinion. SFTL, But, when a state trooper stops you as long as it has that hard Paddin in it and has the DOT on the outside as well as the inside, it will pass with him. I asked a Trooper in my area and he said as long as it has the Hard padding and the DOT requirements on the inside and outside, you will be fine. Its the lids that have little or no padding is what they are looking for. He said that hes seen helmets that have the less than one inch hard padding that passed. Passed as in, he was ok with it. Now if your dead set on a Genuine DOT helmet for safety then, I dont think the one Fab posted will really do you any better than a Novelty. But to each his own. JHMO

I guess if you go into with that mindset, you're not fooling yourself. For me though, safety is a factor and I need a helmet to meet the DOT asphalt test, not Trooper Dan, but that's just me.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior

Yeah I hear ya SFTL, Im just still pissed that I got that damn ticket, $140. So Im tryin to find one that Trooper Dan wont harass me about, and still look cool wearing it. LOL

Quick Reply: Low profile dot helmet?