Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with 120R yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts
Default Anyone with 120R yet?

Touring guys are on to it https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...4-se-120r.html

If you got it, what did it cost?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It is about $5000 if I remember correctly. I was talking to a good friend about this motor over the weekend and his take was that if you are looking fro long term reliability this is not the motor for you. Him and I both agree that a big bore kit, a set of mild or low to medium cams, and a mild polish and port job will yield enough to make us happy. It could just be that we cannot afford the 120R and both use our bikes as our main form of transpo so we need reliability, but that is his take.

There are a ton of guys who bump up their compression, and add high lift cams when they do their motor. This is much harder on the motor than a milder cam thus reducing the life of the engine in our opinion.

That being said, if I had the dough and was not concerned about money in any way I would get one immediately. I'd stick one in my softail adn get a bagger put one in there too.

A good friend of mine just got a CVO Road Glide Ultra last Saturday and you should have heard him talking about how much torque the engine has. He never even did a 95" kit on his fatboy and insisted that his bike had more than enough power. After getting on the 110 I think his mind has been changed about what is enough power.

Drew

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Yeah, retail is about $5500 (engine only), I heard locally that 1 dealer was doing them as a winter special for $4700 with a tune. I dont have details, but it sounds very low to me. I would think that its more likely if its an exchange so they can sell your 96 as a refurb.

So you think this engine will not be reliable? I would think that in addition the swap you'd have to do SE clutch, compensator, etc, but the engine itself shouldnt be a problem. I guess we'll find out. I would hope they'd use the better bearings, etc in it.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Yeah, retail is about $5500 (engine only), I heard locally that 1 dealer was doing them as a winter special for $4700 with a tune. I dont have details, but it sounds very low to me. I would think that its more likely if its an exchange so they can sell your 96 as a refurb.

So you think this engine will not be reliable? I would think that in addition the swap you'd have to do SE clutch, compensator, etc, but the engine itself shouldnt be a problem. I guess we'll find out. I would hope they'd use the better bearings, etc in it.
I am not saying it will not be reliable, just that it is not for me....right now at least. I'd kill for one of these in my softail!

Drew

Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dealer has a mock-up on display at their parts counter with the dyno graphs for it an all that (assuming the graph is true).. the engine makes roughly 140rwhp, and i forget how much torque, and yeah, costs $5495 alone, not including a new transmission that won't snap behind it..