Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic says Power Commanders are nothing but trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
marines267
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put it this way power commander the vance and hines and all the other fuel management systems except the harley download work the same. no mater which one you install the bike is still running the stock download untill it gets to the fuel management syatem and than it lies to the motorcycle and tells it to do something else. the harley download does not do that it changes the program in the bike. so you decide what you like better go the cheaper route or the correct way to do it. most go the cheaper way and never have a problem. good luck

Last edited by marines267; 03-10-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,100 Likes on 3,649 Posts

HD download in my opinion VS PCIII is a waste of money...The adjustability on the PC is so nice...I have been on this board for a little while now and haven't seen any negatives about Power Commander....

Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought my PCV at the dealer, had them instal and dyno tune. No problem.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PC, FuelPak, TMax...or even download, they all do the same thing, you just have to tweak it differently. He is the one responsible so you have two choices, go with the PC and find a tech that knows how to use it, or go with his suggestions and deal with "the best he can do".

As much as I use others to work on my bike, I really don't have an opinion here. If I was to use a mechanic, I would use one that is trusted by people I trust and build experiences from there. No opinions on a forum will make a mechanic any better than he is. Just my $.02

Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default pc 3

I would be looking for someone else to do the work. seems like this guy would be the one to have problems.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default had a couple bad

my first pc ran good for about 3 years, then just started running like it was on one cylinder..... past warranty and just bought another, when I got the second I used it for about a month before it died.....sent both back to jamie.

The first I purchased somewhere else and asked him to look at it. He said something wrong internally, so when I got it back I took the "potting" which is the silicone looking crap on the back which weatherproofs the electronics. Obviously someone didnt clean something correctly when they potted it because moisture had gotten in and rusted and then bridged some caps and fried them, Oh well.

The second I got from FM and ran great as before, but after about a month was having hard starting issues. After researching and talking to a couple of techs at Dynojet found out that there was an issue with the pc powering down after the system relay would shut off the fuel pump. Did a work around by powering up the dongle with a switched power source,,,running light circuit. All good now.

By the way Jamie spent a good deal of time trying to figure out the problem with me and sent out 2 new units with same problem occurring. Big rep for jamie for sticking with me on the issue.

All together there are 3 good fm systems out there, pc, master tune, and the wego systems. All of these are good because of the fuel ranges and timing changes. The pc is the cheapest of the bunch. The V&H is a pain because you have to deal with the techs to get a map. A friend spent countless hours with the techs getting maps and still isnt happy.

All said and done I would still use a pc 3

heres a vid of my issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuiCm...&tracker=False

Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd Swiper
Yea, I think I'm gonna talk to some bikers in the area who are handy and Knowledgabel on thier thoughts it just kinda stinks because I think this mechanics prices are pretty resasonable after all for a cam job he quoted me 250 which seems pretty cheap to me...
Too cheap IMO. I'd be leary about any professional mechanic that will do cams on a TC for $ 250 labor.

HD Download for Stage 1 is a EPA Compliant timing only adjustment to the ECM settings. Your bike will still run lean to meet the EPA Standards.

I think what Drew said is probably correct, this mechanic is not comfortable working with the PC or FI and going with the HD Download is an easy and safe way to handle FI issues

Last edited by XARAN; 03-10-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am by far no expert on PC's. I had one installed when I first got the bike, no issues and bike runs much better. My tuner (Del's High Performance) in Brownsburg, IN (huge racing area), highly recommends them. I trust him, he builds race bikes, races at IRP, and does work for Vance & Hines race team.