Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic says Power Commanders are nothing but trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Ranfrol
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine, 07 Heritage installed a PCV and had the map installed by Fuelmoto. Ran great right from the start, but after visiting Vance & Hines, they gave me several different baffels to try, I have decided to get a dyno this weekend.
I also installed the same setup on the wife's 2010 Heritage, and it runs great. No issues from the first start up.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:18 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the one from Jamie at Fuelmoto. It came already mapped to my bike, Samsons, Big sucker kit, NGK. Hadnt had any problems with mine. My dads RK has 30k miles on it and hes got the PCV and it runs like a dream. 2 Cents

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The PC's are an ok choice IMO, they do work but they do have issues at times more than other non piggyback controlers/ programers. They are the cheapest that can be tuned. For the most part they work and the bike runs good but I have seen a few where something in it failed and makes the bike run like crap.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:27 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It sounds to me like he is an old school guy meaning he is probably much more well versed in carbs and dislikes fuel injection. I have never had an issue with my power commander either. I have been running it since 2006.

If you are taking your bike to him for work that is his way of saying i don't like working with Power Commanders.

Drew

Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It sounds to me like he is an old school guy meaning he is probably much more well versed in carbs and dislikes fuel injection. I have never had an issue with my power commander either. I have been running it since 2006.

If you are taking your bike to him for work that is his way of saying i don't like working with Power Commanders.

Drew
Exactly!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Exactly!
+2 on that! Kinda thought that when you said 30 yrs working with bikes. Old school and doesn't adjust well with the times. Likely could set a carbed bike up though.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Jd Swiper
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I guess that makes alot of sense Drew.....Thanks for all the input guys....

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Several choices out there these days for F/M systems...

Down loads are better than they were several yrs back, still I wouldn't do one. There a one shot flash that U hope it works, not able to adjust anything afterwards

Never has a PC of any kind, but lots of members in here are pleased with them.

I got the SERT 4yrs ago because I knew I was going to put in cams and at that time I liked it better than anything else at that time.

Now if I get another bike I really don't know what I'd get..

It'd be either SEST, TTS mastertune, TC5 autotune. seem like there's another, can't remember.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Jim Welch
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grgerman
Never had a problem with my PCV.

I'm guessing that he either doesn't understand the PC or he's been brain washed by HD.
I've had pc3 on my bike from,after purchase,bike has approx. 50,000 milea no problems. Had the samr thing told to be by a stealer!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone actually IS having issues.. I just noticed that on power commander's website there are firmware updates available, the most recent for the PCV was posted March 2, 2011..

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...x?ProdType=PCV

and the PC3 was dated May 2010, so a little older, which makes sense since they're getting away from them with the new models..

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dType=PCIIIUSB

might solve some problems. be sure to back-up your onboard maps first.

Quick Reply: Mechanic says Power Commanders are nothing but trouble!!