Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on purchaing Heritage Softail Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011 | 11:41 AM
1DrunkParrot
|
6th Gear
Default Advice on purchaing Heritage Softail Classic

My first post on this forum. I'm looking to purchase a new-to-me bike in the next couple of weeks. My last bike as an '03 Electra Glide. I'm considering a Heritage Softail Classic or a Road King Classic. Based on what I've read in this Softail forum, it looks like there were some enhancements in 2009. I've also read that '07 and '08 may have some heat issues.

Is there anything on the '09 or '10 from an model enhancement which would be worth knowing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Frank

Old 03-07-2011 | 04:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Touring bikes got a bigger/better frame in 09.

Old 03-07-2011 | 07:53 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

In September of 08 my wife bought an 07 Heritage with 497 miles on it for $15,500.00.
I have since noticed a lot of Heritages for sale with low miles on them. Look around I know there is a great deal out there.

Heat can be an issue until you do Stage1 and pipes. Good Luck

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:15 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I don't think there were many changes after 07 on the heritage, although I know there were major improvements on all the touring frames in 09. In '10, the 5th gear on the heritage (all harleys i think). It's just cut a little different and is supposed to run a little quieter. My 09 seems to be just fine though, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. Never heard much about heat problems, but I don't think my '09 runs any hotter than you would expect from a Harley. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a good deal on a used one. I know my local dealer only got one new Heritage this year and sold it fast. Couldn't buy a new one here if you wanted to...

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:30 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

I've got an '09 and no issues...it's a great ride.

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:46 PM
1DrunkParrot
|
6th Gear

Thanks for all the quick replies and feedback.

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:56 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser

Parrot, you have already received good advice on the Heritage Softail Classic. Let me add a vote for the Road King Classic you might be considering as well.. I ride a TC96B Softail (08 Cross Bones) but my brother rides a 10 RK Classic. I get to ride both quite a bit since we switch back and forth while on long rides. I am consistently impressed with how his RK rides, from the overall balance of the bike, to the train-like acceleration, to the uber-comfort of the stock seat. I would never give up my Bones, but since you are coming of an Electraglide, just make sure you can fall in love with a Softail (like I have) because we give up certain creature comforts to look as good as we do while riding. An 09 or 10 Road King Classic is a fantastic bike, especially if your average riding day exceeds 200 miles.

Old 03-07-2011 | 09:11 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Yup, there are some big differences between the heritage and RK. The thing I disliked about the Rk was that it sat me up higher than I liked. The seat on each were equally comfy in my opinion. The Heritage just fit me better but take a close look at each and go with the one you like.

Old 03-10-2011 | 02:49 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

for me the taller RK is the right hight for the heavier bike. with the lighter heritage the shorter seat made my knees bent more of an angle. and was OK for the lighter heritage weight. but with the taller King the legs arnt bent so much and I have more power in the legs as the bend gets straighter. like on my Ultra I need the higher seat to straighten my legs to hold the more top heavier Ultra up easier.
so holding one up sometimes helps with the taller bike. especially with a passenger. lot depends on your inseam. check it out.

Old 03-15-2011 | 10:56 PM
Springerpilot
Cruiser

BassCatcher,
Good points. I also see that you've got a brand new HS Classic, nice ride. LOTS of enhancements for 2011, I understand. I think Parrot may have been considering a older, used HSC, so would miss out on your new seat, handlbars, instrument cluster, floorboards and more. I think for your bike's seat and handlebars alone, I would consider the 2011 Heritage Softail Classic the best one ever. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Advice on purchaing Heritage Softail Classic