Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick football A/C insert question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default quick football A/C insert question

The inserts in the football cover.. are the back of them flat?

I want to get rid of the football cover, but keep the "96 Cubic Inches Fatboy" insert..i know it comes off with a little heat and some love, but I dont know if it's tapered at all or what the back looks like and i dont want to rip it off to find out and end up ruining what i have..

basically this is what i want to do:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7443796-post46.html

the guy basically took a 6" 'plumbers stainless steel cleanout cover' and glued the insert onto it and bolted it on..and i think that's awesome. yeah.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

If your talking about the trim ring,no it's not flat on the back and its made of thin aluminium so be carefull when you remove it. Take the AC cover off then warm it up with a hairdryer or heat gun,gently work it off with an old credit card or something like that,it's stuck on with double sided tape.
As the trim ring is'nt flat you'll have to use some sort of foam double sided tape behind it if your going to stick it back onto a flat surface...

Attached Thumbnails quick football A/C insert question-sb-sweden-082.jpg   quick football A/C insert question-sb-sweden-083.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always just cut out the center of your football cover and keep the ring attached to the original piece...

Attached Thumbnails quick football A/C insert question-hpim0654.jpg   quick football A/C insert question-hpim0656.jpg   quick football A/C insert question-hpim0657.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
You could always just cut out the center of your football cover and keep the ring attached to the original piece...
+1.
Looks better because the trim ring is recessed in, as opposed to being just stuck on and you don't have to worry about ruining the trim ring when removing it.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,281 Likes on 21,833 Posts

Put ya something cool on like this from these guys; This is a derby cover but they have the same thing in AC Covers. http://www.azece.com/orderairstock.htm

Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you bend it up getting it off you can find a replacement on ebay for about 8 bucks.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or you could get something custom from Story808...

Old 03-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Thanks for the ideas..i thought about cutting it out, especially since i have a nice dremel tool with like 1001 bits that would get the job done quick and easy, i just don't want to accidentally screw it up..

and WARG, i thought about getting a custom cover, but on my Lo, when people see that "96 Cubic Inches - FatBoy".. that's making a statement, so it's important to me and i'd like to keep the insert, but I like the look of the exposed K&N air filter too.. so i'll work something out. Thanks guys.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you cut it out use a metal cutting wheel leaving a 1/4" to 1/2" border around where you want the finished product to be... mark this place. Then put a screw or bolt thru the hole and fasten it tight... then put it in a drill press or drill in a vise works if you don't have a press. As it turns around in the drill press, take a grinder and hold it up to the edge and gently grind down to your mark... then take a fine grit sandpaper backed by a block (not your hand or fingers - the edge will be sharp) and sand the edge while it is turning in the press as well. Sand 'til smooth to touch... done.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Good input, Howard.. and I actually think I have a spare football cover in my attic from when my dad wrecked his 2000 night train..if that one is black I might do it to that one so I don't screw mine up..then i'll just see if the insert fits

Quick Reply: quick football A/C insert question