Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander vs. Fuel Pak vs. Download

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
JoshFBL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander vs. Fuel Pak vs. Download

First post! I've been checking these forums for a few months...got tons of ideas for my 11' Fat Boy Low.

My biggest question: I'm getting VH Big Radius 2 into 2 installed with a high flow A/C.

Do I need Power Commander? Fuel Pak? Dealer download? I know I'll get a lot of answers, but I'm hoping to reach a consensus or majority. I really don't know the difference. The dealer says the download is more reliable, but aren't they biased???

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Download is because its not piggy backing. but it not tuneable afterword's. just a one shot hope it works deal.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

depends on how much you want to spend, more flexibility down the road with components, but more $$. Check out Fuelmoto, tons of great feedback on them

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 PM
JoshFBL
Advanced

Originally Posted by fdb2007
depends on how much you want to spend, more flexibility down the road with components, but more $$. Check out Fuelmoto, tons of great feedback on them
What differences would I notice if I spent more money? If I don't plan on changing pipes, am I good with the download?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus 1 on fuel moto. Tell them your pipes and air cleaner and they send you a power commander set up for it. plug and play. Thats what I did and I am happy with it. Cant help on the download and heard fuelpak is not the best but have no experience with that either.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love to hear some good answers on this as well. I did ok with my big radius pipes, vance and hines intake, and a fuelpak on my dyna. There was some decel pop but nothing too bad. I'm pretty sure it didn't perform as well as a tuner but I was on a budget like I will be when I get my fat boy lo. If there's something that works better but in a similar price range I'd love to know. With a new baby it will be years before I can make any other performance mods

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshFBL
What differences would I notice if I spent more money? If I don't plan on changing pipes, am I good with the download?

If U don't change the pipes u don't need to do anything.. even a HF A/C would just be a waste of $$$

So U don't need a DL either,, only issue is U'll still be EPA lean on Ur A/F ratio. (which is the same as the Factory setting.)

Last edited by oct1949; 03-04-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

+1 on calling Fuelmoto. My PC was plug and ride with the downloaded map. They sent me the SE high flow A/C and bike really woke up. Highly recommended and can't beat the price. It was very simple to install too. Good luck.
b

Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forget where I got my PCV from.. probably motorcyclesuperstore or something, but there were a ton of maps on PC's website, just downloaded it, used their free software and connected my PC to the ..well.. pc (computer).. loaded the map, verified it, and threw it in my bike..works great

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I forget where I got my PCV from.. probably motorcyclesuperstore or something, but there were a ton of maps on PC's website, just downloaded it, used their free software and connected my PC to the ..well.. pc (computer).. loaded the map, verified it, and threw it in my bike..works great
Yeah, if you don't want the hassle and expense of a dyno go with the Power Commander(PC). When I was shopping Fuelmoto was the same price of just buying the unit from fleabay. However, they did the programming and all I did was plug it in on the bike.

Quick Reply: Power Commander vs. Fuel Pak vs. Download