Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander vs. Fuel Pak vs. Download

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
heatstroke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 flstf here, stage 1 all v&h.The fuelpak worked even better with their updated map. Now for the decell popping you can tune that out, I forgot what mode and value that is set for that. Works well enought for me...

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done pouring over fuelmoto's website. I think I'll definitely be looking them up when I get back from overseas. Every time I've seen them mentioned there's nothing but good.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

Originally Posted by JoshFBL
What differences would I notice if I spent more money? If I don't plan on changing pipes, am I good with the download?
You would be good with the download. I have had HD remap a couple of bikes and they were fine, but would have been better with Fuel Moto. I would not change pipes and A/C without doing something with the ECM. You are just pissing money away if change parts and don't tune the motor to match what you have done.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my PC-V and SE intake from Fuelmoto. Been totally satisfied and haven seen it since the seat went back on.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Josh,

There are several options when it comes to tuners. When I got my bike it had the download pre installed. It worked fine, but lacked power. I got a Fuelpak, which is great, but my mileage is not where it should be. However, you can get a used fuelpaks for next to nothing, mine was $75.
Some people like the idea of dyno tuning. When I was 18 I had a 1969 Firebird. I would of loved to of had it dynoed, but could never afford it. Today, I am not running a Fatboy down a track, I do not need a dyno tune. Some people never out grow the need for a dyno tune.
That being said, the Fuelpac or PC are good option because they are simple to program. Hell, the PC someone else will program it for you. What people do like about the PC is you have the option of dyno tuning the Fuelpak you do not.
Either unit you can get mapps for future upgrades. I would believe the PCV or Powervision are the better option, more mapps, and wider range of changes, but the cost is higher. $500 for the Power Commanders versus 75 for a used Fuelpak.
Now back to options, I like a ThunderMax with autotune. Not simple, but not difficult either. It replaces the stock ECM, once you get your map installed, it will autotune the same as a dyno tune. But, you do not get the cool printout and can't brag about your numbers. The Thundermax is expensive, so you recover some bragging rights.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 810 Posts

Heard from my "indy" the other day that he's changed out several PCVs over the last several months due to water getting inside. Anybody heard about this issue?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

Originally Posted by hdgzr
Heard from my "indy" the other day that he's changed out several PCVs over the last several months due to water getting inside. Anybody heard about this issue?
Likely just trying to push the brand they prefer.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are several posts on here about water getting in the plug. The cause is improper installation or the lack of dielectric grease on the plug. However, it is a real concern for piggyback units.

Originally Posted by TheNameIs"B"
Likely just trying to push the brand they prefer.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

I guess it could be if you wash your bike with the seat off or spray high pressure water at the unit. Normal riding conditions or getting caught in the rain here or there will not be a problem. Tons of people use them and not just on Harleys. They wouldn't be in business without producing a high quality device.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see....

I had a Fuelpak on a Dyna.....a PCV on a Nightster....and a dealer download on a Softail Deluxe.... I liked the Fuelpak the LEAST... The Dyna never ran it's best after install even using V&H slip ons... Finally after installing quiet baffles and trying many different settings as per V&H...it ran OK... PVC is a little more expensive but really ran perfectly and I really liked it. Had the Nightster Dyno tuned and tuner said they only improved on the tune very little from the Fuel Moto tune. In fact when I brought it in he said it was one of the best running Sportsters he had seen... BUT...on the Softail Deluxe with the download I do not have ONE bad thing to say about it.... Runs perfect and no complaints and would do it again...

Quick Reply: Power Commander vs. Fuel Pak vs. Download