Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brightass Lights and 2011 Softail problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Iron_Yeti
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brightass Lights and 2011 Softail problem

Yesterday I picked up my 2011 Fat Boy Lo from the dealer as they had to replace the BCM for that HD recall. While there I picked up a Brightass BAL-1 and installed it last night. When I bought it, the sales person gave me a flyer (and I am paraphrasing it as I don't have it with me) stating that with 2011 Softails there was some issue with bike (BCM?) and the BAL. Only settings 4,5,6 would work w/o tripping a diagnostic code. (There was no mention of the consequences). The company stated they were working on a solution.

Installation was simple and I followed the easy 5 steps. It worked fine in my garage last night. I put the BAL-1 on setting #6. This morning I was 5 min into the ride when a red warning light popped up on my console. I don't have my owner's manual with me at work and I can't recall what this light means. It is the same light that blinks when my security system is armed. I have my magnet with me but it was well away from my FOB. The system armed easily when I left the bike in the parking garage. Is this the issue the Brightass company was referring to? On the 30 min ride home from the dealer last night, this red light was definitely not on.

I'm a little paranoid about this since I am not sure what this means. Plus I have a 30 min commute home tonight and I would like to make sure I don't have any issues going home. Any insights from you all would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

It sounds like even setting 6 threw a diagnostic code....

I'm not familiar with the BAL.. Can you just disconnect it and go back stock to get home..

From there I'd leave it off until BAL comes up with the proper fix.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Sorry to hear that Bro, I hope they find a fix for it.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Youngneg
Tourer

Hey irom
i have a 2011 lo with abs/security also....purchased a bal3-3st..didn`t install yet ,but i talked to brightass light people and they told me that it`s ok to use codes 4,5,6, everything will be fine ....if you use any other ones...you will get a light on your console simulating that a bulb is out...they told me if you use a code OTHER then 4,5,6, you will get the light,....just change the code back to 4,5,6 and the light should go out!.....let me know how you make out.....and as soon as i install mine i`ll let you know.....thanks Iron.....GOOD LUCK!!!LOL

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

When you start the bike unless you clear the code it will come on for 50- start ups as well to tell you there is a code stored.

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 03-04-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Yeti
Yesterday I picked up my 2011 Fat Boy Lo from the dealer as they had to replace the BCM for that HD recall. While there I picked up a Brightass BAL-1 and installed it last night. When I bought it, the sales person gave me a flyer (and I am paraphrasing it as I don't have it with me) stating that with 2011 Softails there was some issue with bike (BCM?) and the BAL. Only settings 4,5,6 would work w/o tripping a diagnostic code. (There was no mention of the consequences). The company stated they were working on a solution.

Installation was simple and I followed the easy 5 steps. It worked fine in my garage last night. I put the BAL-1 on setting #6. This morning I was 5 min into the ride when a red warning light popped up on my console. I don't have my owner's manual with me at work and I can't recall what this light means. It is the same light that blinks when my security system is armed. I have my magnet with me but it was well away from my FOB. The system armed easily when I left the bike in the parking garage. Is this the issue the Brightass company was referring to? On the 30 min ride home from the dealer last night, this red light was definitely not on.

I'm a little paranoid about this since I am not sure what this means. Plus I have a 30 min commute home tonight and I would like to make sure I don't have any issues going home. Any insights from you all would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
I bought my BAL-1 direct and they told me about the 2011 code problem. I wasn't worried about it though because I use "5" anyway. When I installed my light, I experimented with some other numbers. Some numbers threw the code light, but as soon as I went back to the approved numbers, the light went out.

Light will either be on or not, shouldn't come on half way through a ride.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
When you start the bike unless you clear the code it will come on for 50- start ups as well to tell you there is a code stored.

Drew
This has not been my experience.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Iron_Yeti
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. Another question - when the dealers have to replace the BCM for the recall issue, it is not a totally new BCM right? It is just a BCM sealing issue only? I am asking this since the brightass lights people did their testing on a 2011 softail in the Fall 2010 (prior to the recall notice) and determined settings 4,5,6 would work. I am wondering if sending my bike in for the recall fix would affect the assumed BAL compatability.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM
BACCUS100176
Advanced

I bought my 2011 Fatboy Lo in September and also purchased a BAL-1 from the dealer. I was the first customer to call Brightasslights with the same issue you are having (blinking red light on speedo)

It's the same thing inherent with all LEDs, there's so little draw that the bike thinks there is a bulb out so it throws out the code. At first, it drove me crazy, but I'm used to it now. It won't affect the function of the bike nor will it cause any warranty issues. Brightasslights told me that as long as you register your light, they will either send a plug in or replace the entire unit when they get the workaround figured out. I've been riding happily since.

I also had my BCM replaced under the factory recall. Service Manager and the mechanic told me that around March 14, MOCO would be sending out another BCM update that would allow all LED lights to work on our bikes (2011 softails) without adding any load equalizers and would prevent the bike from throwing out the codes. Apparently, HD has recognized that LEDs are here to stay and that they would rather have HD components instead of adding a bunch of plugins in order for us to run with LEDS.

I will say that I am running a BAL-1 along with Custom Dynamics LEDS in all of the turn signals without any problems, and without a load equalizer (per Custom Dynamics) although the turn signal indicators on my dash flashes faster than the LEDS, but that doesn't bother me.

As for the upgraded BCM, I'll let you guys know after March 14th when I get it replaced/installed from the dealer stealer

Quick Reply: Brightass Lights and 2011 Softail problem