Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brightass Lights and 2011 Softail problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Youngneg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bac.... I have( but not installed yet.. Bike layed up front end apart)the same set up, bal-3.. Custom dynamic's turn signals... Question is.. Can you run your rear turn signals as break light also..... I was told I can't yet because of 2011 wiring and no load equilizer yet

Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM
BACCUS100176
Advanced

Youngneg . . . yes you can. I have the HD Run Stop Turn Module and they work fine with the Custom Dynamics LEDs. It's pretty bright back there combined with the BAL . . . keeps alot of the cagers off my tail end when coming to a stop.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Youngneg
Tourer

Thanks Bac!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BACCUS100176
I bought my 2011 Fatboy Lo in September and also purchased a BAL-1 from the dealer. I was the first customer to call Brightasslights with the same issue you are having (blinking red light on speedo)

It's the same thing inherent with all LEDs, there's so little draw that the bike thinks there is a bulb out so it throws out the code. At first, it drove me crazy, but I'm used to it now. It won't affect the function of the bike nor will it cause any warranty issues. Brightasslights told me that as long as you register your light, they will either send a plug in or replace the entire unit when they get the workaround figured out. I've been riding happily since.

I also had my BCM replaced under the factory recall. Service Manager and the mechanic told me that around March 14, MOCO would be sending out another BCM update that would allow all LED lights to work on our bikes (2011 softails) without adding any load equalizers and would prevent the bike from throwing out the codes. Apparently, HD has recognized that LEDs are here to stay and that they would rather have HD components instead of adding a bunch of plugins in order for us to run with LEDS.

I will say that I am running a BAL-1 along with Custom Dynamics LEDS in all of the turn signals without any problems, and without a load equalizer (per Custom Dynamics) although the turn signal indicators on my dash flashes faster than the LEDS, but that doesn't bother me.

As for the upgraded BCM, I'll let you guys know after March 14th when I get it replaced/installed from the dealer stealer
Baccus,
Did you get the upgraded BCM and did that solve the issue? I just bought a Lo and ordered the BAL-3ST along with some custom dynamics LED amber turning signals. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Youngneg
Tourer

Hello newman, no had my bcm changed and my turn signal indicator flashes fast...but the turn signals work fine....custom dynamics....and the BAL-3ST still puts up a light on the speedo indicating a bulbs out...i use code 5, and the indicator light goes on then off...if you brake alot...hope it helped ya...

Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 AM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, thanks. I should be receiving my BAL this week. Looking forward to installing it. I can live with the code light if the product is as good as advertised. However, they should post something on their website about this issue with the 2011 softails. I looked everywhere and found nothing.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Dite
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info here...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM
BACCUS100176
Advanced

Contacted Brightasslights and they said the workaround has been approved for 2011 and all future models. It should be a plug-in pigtail or module between the harness and BAL.

They said if you're registered with them then they will automatically send it. Call them . . . their customer service is awesome.

Here's their response:

Yes, you are correct, the 2011 Softail series will illuminate the diagnostic indicator (as bulb out) when the BAL is placed in any other than the compatible brake modes (mode# 4,5,6). Due to the recalls on the Softails and subsequent programming changes from HD throughout the year along with word the Dyna series would be using a similar system, the adapter making the BAL completely forward compatible with this new BCM system was delayed to be sure it would work with both. The adapters have recently completed compatibility tests with both the 2011-2012 Softail and 2012 Dyna series and have been released to production. You have been verified in our database for this, and if your address info is still the same, you should receive it within the next few weeks. An email will be sent when it ships as well.