Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:36 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have no fear attempting this yourself. I got new pipes off fleabay and the wife insisted we have the dealer install since the bike was so expensive. I gave it a shot and was done before 4 beers! My 5000 mile service is coming up and instead of going to the dealer I am planning on investing in a lift, filter, and synthetic oil. Guaranteed to still save cash vs taking to dealer and get to keep the lift!

Oh and after you ride it a couple times recheck the nuts on that hold the pipes to the heads, the heat will allow the pipes to "settle in" and a couple turns will snug them back up. Good luck!
b

Last edited by TheNameIs"B"; 03-02-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Clips aren't a problem to get out and you can reuse them. Have a good look at them when you take them off. Mine were a bit slanted on one side. I made sure to put them back so the same face was towards the cylinder.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
levinale
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Haha.. I like William's HD out in Lebanon, NJ.. I might take my bike there for servicing since my first 2 were included free with my bike.. but since im about to rip the whole thing down anyways i might as well just do it myself
+1 on Williams. Of all dealers in nj i dealt with, I think they are most reasonable

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KeeBee
btw thx for the responses. I will just have to figure out how the clamps go. 2 pictures in the directions are pretty terrible.
When putting those clamps on, whether you mean heat shield clamps or muffler - remember that you want to be able to reach them and take them on or off without taking off the whole exhaust system - just look at the bike and figure out which way to turn each clamp so it is easy to reach with a scredriver (or socket, depending on which clamp you mean) with everything assembled.

If you are really worried, you could order the bolt-on eprformance DVD from Fix My Hog.
http://www.fixmyhog.com/products/Sof...e-Edition.html
If you click the link from HD forums you get a small discount.

I really like their stuff (I only have the maintenance DVD's for softail and sportster) and nothing could be easier than watching a guy do every step, show you the tools, give you the torque values, etc., Some guys on the "general" forum had a hard time following them, but if you can't follow video instructions, you just can't work on bikes (can't imagine how hard a manual would be for those guys).

Last edited by brenn; 03-03-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all sound advice....I'm no super wrench, but I have always done exhaust myself. Get yourself a set of dental picks for those old exhaust gaskets. You can get up in them with a pick to get it seperated from the port and then get a hold if it with some needle nose pliers. To me, the hardest part is getting the new ones in. Put the new ones in the freezer for a bit and before you put them in rub a little dish soap around the outside of them....

Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on Williams. Of all dealers in nj i dealt with, I think they are most reasonable

Never been to Williams, but of all I have been to in NJ, Ocean County HD in Lakewood is GREAT. VERY nice folks and a great selection of parts, bikes and accessories.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Almost can't wait until my warranty runs out (this August). I'll then start doing everything I can myself. The rest will go to the indys.
Plus...plus....plus....

Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 AM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Almost can't wait until my warranty runs out (this August). I'll then start doing everything I can myself. The rest will go to the indys.
Why wait?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
truckin
Tourer

what kind of tuner are you going to run?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
KeeBee
Road Master

Originally Posted by truckin
what kind of tuner are you going to run?
Not sure yet. Going to wait until I change out my air cleaner. Will have to do research on which one would be best for my exhaust and air cleaner.

Samson and others on the forum said I don't need a tune or tuner until I change out the air cleaner.

Quick Reply: Harley Service