Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima six speed yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM
hillbillydeluxe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima six speed yay or nay

Im not one who has to have the best but i am a little skiddish becouse of the cheap price. does anyone else have or had one. Whats yalls opinion?
THANKS

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Never had one but I say neigh.

Drew

Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're buying it new from Mid West/Jireh It'll come with a warranty. If it's a good deal, why not?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Nope! Baker or S.E. Quality costs, what's your life worth?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

What's wrong with the transmission you have?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

i liked it on my 06 dyna! theres alot of rowing up and down gears 50mph and less though. i dont think the moco did well in spacing the gears out. on the high way 65 mph+ it was smooth and great in sixth!!!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's an Ultima six speed transmission story for your consideration.

I purchased one from Jireh ($559) 22 months ago for my Evo garage build, a black finish LSD. It took me another few months before I completed the build and actually started using it. During that time I started hearing reports of problems with the pawl spring (a large spring on the bottom of the shifter arm inside the case) failing.

There's was no recall so I assumed some would break and some wouldn't so I just continued to ride hoping I had one of the good ones. Otherwise than that the transmission performed very well. It shifted smoothly, didn't whine or make any noises at all, and neutral (once I had the clutch adjusted to its liking) was easy to find.

Fast forward to a year later and just last week. I was coming off the freeway and while downshifting into third gear I heard something snap. I now had second, neutral, and first gear but nothing else and there was some serious flop in the shifter peg.

I pulled over already knowing what it was. The pawl spring broke. Now it must be said this problem isn't solely an Ultima issue, as all transmissions from older Bakers to new stock MOCO ones have these springs and some occasionally fail. (However, I actually think Baker did away with the spring in their very latest models.)

I trucked the bike home and pulled the transmission out the next day. And in the photo below I'm pointing out the spring end section that broke.

Before going further it's important to note that since I can do all the work of pulling the transmission and actually fixing it myself it's not the end of the world. If I couldn't do the work, and had to pay to have it done, I'd already be out several hundred dollars just verifying the issue. I pulled the shift cam (some call it the shifter drum) and flipped the transmission upside down and let the last of the oil drain out over night. The idea was the hope that any broken bits of the spring would also float out with the oil.

Sure enough the next morning I found these three pieces.

When these pawl springs break it can go two ways. The spring fails and the broken piece(s) fall harmlessly into the bottom of the case. Or, the springs breaks and the broken piece(s) migrate through the main shaft and/or secondary shaft gears. If you look closely at the above photo you can see the two pieces on the left appear to be fractured. (The two pieces are actually one piece cracked down the middle) a pretty sure sign it went through the gears.

I checked all the teeth in the gears and at the locking dogs looking for damage and found none. But the setup on all these transmissions is so important that even with no apparent damage once something goes through the gears it'll never be right again. So my hope of just replacing the spring (with one not from Ultima) was out the window.

It was Sunday night but I emailed Midwest anyway (Ultima's parent company) explaining the entire issue.

On Monday morning at 9:AM my phone rang and it was Midwest calling. And it wasn't just a customer rep it was the head cheese himself. He told me, yes, they've had trouble with the pawl springs, and that they've since updated them to a much stronger version as well as improving the gear set and making several other upgrades in their latest transmissions. I thought the next thing he was going to say was, "We'll be sending you the new upgraded spring." And I was all ready to make my case that since the spring went through the gears that wasn't what I wanted. But he didn't say that. Instead he said, "We're sending you a brand new updated transmission!"

So needless to say I'm a happy camper. As for my overall opinion on Ultima - besides the transmission I also have one of their belt drives and clutch packs (came with an Alto clutch) and it's been flawless. I know they had some problems with their first generation motors but all reports seem to praise the later versions. And considering bang for the buck (especially on their big inch motors) you can't seem to go wrong. Everyone I know with one is happy with it.

I've seen the internals on most transmissions, Baker, Revtec, and stock MOCO, and I'm comfortable with the Ultima in comparison. So I'm not giving you a yes or no on your decision, just what happened to me, and that you should give customer service a large consideration. I'm pretty sure Baker would have made good, Revtec would have been a bother, and getting a new transmission out of the MOCO would have been like pulling teeth. There's is also the "buy American" angle but that's a personal decision you get to make. I'll only add I doubt any of them are 100% purely American made.

And sure, having a Baker provides some wow factor along with a warm fuzzy feeling and I'd like to have one. But damn the price is only a bit less than I paid for my entire motor direct from the MOCO.

Lastly, and in all fairness, one issue you may have is if you do have any trouble with any aftermarket transmission the Harley dealer probably won't touch it (and blame any other trouble you have on it, LOL!) So it's either do the work yourself or having to go with an independent shop. But that in itself is probably a good thing . . .

The following 5 users liked this post by NickD:
blumi (05-08-2023), GarageJockey (05-10-2023), mhendo (05-18-2023), soldierbot (11-28-2018), tmac00333 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
Nope! Baker or S.E. Quality costs, what's your life worth?
I hear that! My bikes currently down due to a RevTec 6-Speed locking up on me at 75 to 80mph. Within a split second I felt 2 tugs on the drive train and then went into a full on rear tire skid. I couldn't even move it off the road due to the rear end being locked. Cops showed up to divert traffic around my bike on this 2-lane hwy until a friend showed up with tools so we could remove the belt from the pulley to roll it onto a trailer.

In a lifetime of riding, I've never met anybody the had a HD trans lock up on them. The HD 5-Speed is back in my bike despite the fact that RevTec gave me a new 6-Speed. Had anybody been directly behind me, well ... it wouldn't have been pretty.

The following users liked this post:
tmac00333 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-01-2011, 07:52 PM
hillbillydeluxe
Intermediate

Hell yea nickd thanks, i think im gonna get one as soon as i finish painting this weekend. I can work on them myself as far as remove and replace so no biggie there. Again thanks and im gonna go through midway and tell them why im buying from them and to make sure its an updated version. My bike mechanic has the ultima six on his rigid and no problems either. thanks for the input LETS RIDE

Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
ragrat64
Cruiser

I have a Ultima in my 92 Softail, which I installed when my stock tranny broke the spring and went down through the gearset.

559 delivered to my door, polished with a warranty...

My local independent says that it will hold up fine to my stock motor, and if not, well, I guess I will start over.

I would love to have a Baker, just do not have that kind of green laying around.

The way I see it, it is like anything else...Someone will bitch about it, someone will love it, you just have to weed through all the reviews and make you own judgement...

Quick Reply: Ultima six speed yay or nay