Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima six speed yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't answer whether they are using better bearings. I'm doing my tranny now. A full set of bearings and seals are right around $100, give or take. His price of $75 would therefore be correct. $125 to disassemble the tranny and replace all the bearings is a nice price. HD down here wanted to charge me 6 hours labor to do the exact same thing. They are NOT doing the work.

The pawl spring can be seen by opening the cover. There's pix here of the new vs. the old. I would make sure that you have the new one and if not, upgrade it.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 PM
hawgriderbc
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pawl spring

Originally Posted by 95yj

The pawl spring can be seen by opening the cover. There's pix here of the new vs. the old. I would make sure that you have the new one and if not, upgrade it.
I'm not sure what pics you mean? I've seen the ones of the new rectangular spring, but on a Baker posted here. The new one isn't rectangular, but feels much stronger than the old one, by a factor or 2 or 3.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It can't hurt to pull it apart and take a look. You will be able to inspect the spring too. Sounds like a good enough price too.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
hawgriderbc
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Ultima 6 speed

Well, 1200 km and the transmission seems good. The pawl spring must have been updated because the new one is much stiffer, and it feels much better when shifting. Now of course I need to put a few thousand more miles on this trans, then I will be better able to discuss the reliability issues. I'm also waiting for the paper work on the new trans, still haven't got it.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
jmashin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at putting a 6 speed in my FLH 2004 - I've gone through a REvTech not much luck - it would pop out of 4th gear at around 4200 RPM RevTech gave me another shifting fork and when matching it with the orginal one seem a big difference in tolerances. After installing the new fork trans did the exact same thing, pop out of 4th gear at 4200 RPM, shop call Revtec and is sending the trans back.
Going to try the Ultima I've heard good things about it, any comments?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an Ultima 6 Speed gear set sitting on my work bench. I'm using it as a paper weight.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM
longnlow
1st Gear
Question Broken Ultima 6 Sp. Pawl Spring Too ....

NickD,
I know this is an old thread, but I recently had the same problem with my freshly built Softail custom build. I used a 100 inch Ultima El Bruto with their 6 Speed Trans and wide Belt Drive engine combo. Built the entire bike from a Santee Down and Dirty bare frame. It will shift up as far as 2nd gear but has a 'hard wall' feeling trying to get into third. Will not go into third or higher no matter what I do. Will shift back down out of 2nd down into 1st, into neutral ... just CANNOT get up to 3rd or higher.
Now this is a 2008 bought NEW by me Ultima 6 speed. Because of a serious health issue I made it through, the bike didn't get finished until late 2014. After the first 200 miles in late 2014 the trans started this crap. I've had it parked in my dining room since then trying to figure out what the problem is.
So ... NickD, would you be so kind as to share with me the email address that you used to get through to Mid-West so effectively?? I have found that they have many 'screens' in place unless you are a dealer, which I am not. I just want to be able to email this company and share my experience with this 'early' Ultima 6 Speed ... and see if they will provide me some relief with newer upgraded parts. Thanks NickD and/or anybody else who knows an effective email address for Mid-West customer service.
Longnlow

Last edited by longnlow; 04-08-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I learned this a very long time ago, you get what you pay for. Every time I would buy something to save money on, it ended up costing me more.

I have the SE in my 06, been riding on it 4 years now and not 1 single problem, knock on wood. My motor is not stock and the SE has handled every thing I ever threw at it.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:38 PM
longnlow
1st Gear
Red face

Thanks tbone .... I feel so much better now. lol!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:46 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just trying to offer you and informed and experienced opinion and help a brother out.

Quick Reply: Ultima six speed yay or nay