Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Bags Bracket Removal/Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
banginTwins
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HD Bags Bracket Removal/Replacement?

Ok as many of you may know I posted a thread about what types of quick disconnect options were there for HD bags on a Fatboy....many great replies and exactly the info I was looking for....now to my next issue...I have these bags listed below....HD brand Hard Leather Covered Bags Part# 53061-00B...on page 246 in 2010 HD dream catalog.....now my issue is what do you do to remove or alter or whatever to use these bags with the factory oem bag mounts on them as you will see in the pictures below?? I would like to use some sort of quick disconnect system....I prefer the easy brackets so they remove in seconds AND LOCK too.....really need your help with this one guys....what do I do now?

Thanks and please don't hesitate to email or post up any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks...
William

Here are my bags HD Part # 53061-00B

Name:  f13848bd.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  81.3 KB

And here are the brackets HD decided to attach on them....they look like they are heavy rivetted on there....

Name:  a8605088.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  117.4 KB

Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 PM
banginTwins
Cruiser

Anyone? Please help....

Old 03-02-2011, 12:21 AM
TNB
Road Master

Sorry, can't help you since I went with the HD detachables and kit. Maybe, by responding it will bump up your question and you'll get a response. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 AM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so you want to get the brackets that are riveted on there now off the only thing that comes to mind is to carefully grind the button heads off but before you do that you may want to see if they will not fit up to the brackets you want to use if not grind them off slowly so they dont get too hot and melt through the bags and fill the extra holes with black silicone. Thats the only thing that comes to mide

Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Grind them off. You will need to space out the lower paortion ogf the ez bracket between the ez bracket and bag. The ez bracket needs to sit flat/flush with the bag when it is mounted.

If it were me, I'd sell those bags and get some nice, larger bags that will fit better with ez brackets. You can never have too much storage space and will appreciate the larger bags. All this depends on what bike you are talking about and the pipes you have.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Grind them off. You will need to space out the lower paortion ogf the ez bracket between the ez bracket and bag. The ez bracket needs to sit flat/flush with the bag when it is mounted.

If it were me, I'd sell those bags and get some nice, larger bags that will fit better with ez brackets. You can never have too much storage space and will appreciate the larger bags. All this depends on what bike you are talking about and the pipes you have.
+ 1 with what Kuma said, look at Boss Bags with Phantom Brackets, Hog Deluxe etc.

If you really want to keep those bags if you use the EZ Brackets with the HD Bags they will be about 3" away from the bike on each side at the bottom of the bag and about 2 " away at the top due to the spacing of the bracket and the design of the bracket. Instead of EZ Brackets look at the Boss Bags Quick Detach Brackets for Heritage Bags I think those would work for the HD Bags, but call them to be sure or look into Ghost Brackets from Cycle Vision for a quick release.

If your set on EZ Brackets the Hog Deluxe Bags are the way to go using them since they are decigned to hide the bracket and move the bag closer to the bike

Below are some Osprey Bags I used to have mounted by EZ Brackets (your HD Bags will be out further at the bottom since you have to space them to keep them vertical) and my new Boss Bags with Phantom Brackets . You can see the difference is how close they mount to the bike.

Attached Thumbnails HD Bags Bracket Removal/Replacement?-boss-bags-top.jpg   HD Bags Bracket Removal/Replacement?-boss-bags-back.jpg   HD Bags Bracket Removal/Replacement?-fairingfrom-the-back.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I with those guys, sell the bags and get something bigger and nicer. I just ordered a set of springer style bags from HogDeluxe. Great to deal with and the bags comes with the easy brackets. Win Win