Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLSTFB - A Tire Pressure Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having a terrible wobble between about 35-55mph after my 1K service. Took it to a different dealer and they said it had no neck bearing grease and they wouldn't let me ride out of there like that. They fixed it under the HD warranty and I was on my way. But I did have extra grease coming out for the next several thousand miles.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM
FatBoyLarry
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That nitrogen in tires really works.

I have my 1st experience with it...my Tacoma came from the dealer with nitrogen in the tires...man, it does hold consistent pressure.

MPG's, I don't know...but pressure remains perfect since I picked up the truck new last July.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBoyLarry
That nitrogen in tires really works.

I have my 1st experience with it...my Tacoma came from the dealer with nitrogen in the tires...man, it does hold consistent pressure.

MPG's, I don't know...but pressure remains perfect since I picked up the truck new last July.
Nitrogen is common in my region. Any place that sells tires puts it in automatically (except for the small time shops). All the regular size shops have converted. No extra charge, unless you have them remove your air to do it, then you are paying for labor which is understandable.

You'd be mighty brave to start a thread on it though. LOL
Many here don't accept that there are benifits from it.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
FatBoyLarry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Nitrogen is common in my region. Any place that sells tires puts it in automatically (except for the small time shops). All the regular size shops have converted. No extra charge, unless you have them remove your air to do it, then you are paying for labor which is understandable.

You'd be mighty brave to start a thread on it though. LOL
Many here don't accept that there are benifits from it.
no way bro...many here don't believe the Vrod is a Harley.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
My FLSTC must be different than yours. It don't like 40 in the front.
Maybe I am too picky. I don't like feeling all the tiny imperfections in the road.

Trial and error, forming your own opinion, is sometimes better than taking one man's word and considering it golden.
And I'd agree with you completely about the trial and error - which is why lots of time in the saddle lets me agree with the tech's suggestion and considered it worth repeating for what it's worth to anyone else. The bike, rider size/weight and riding style easily mean someone else could have a different result. I just know it works well for me.

Now my 04 Wide Glide - seemed like THAT felt every road imperfection up front regardless of tire pressure. Had a few wild moments on windy and rutted freeways.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey Hogger
And I'd agree with you completely about the trial and error - which is why lots of time in the saddle lets me agree with the tech's suggestion and considered it worth repeating for what it's worth to anyone else. The bike, rider size/weight and riding style easily mean someone else could have a different result. I just know it works well for me.

Now my 04 Wide Glide - seemed like THAT felt every road imperfection up front regardless of tire pressure. Had a few wild moments on windy and rutted freeways.
Too heavy of fork oil can also give that "feel every pebble" type of ride.
Found that out the hard way. LOL

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tires

36 all around

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 AM
cpiad
Account Closed

He's got a 200 mm tire in rear...so....manual says 36/42....but 42 will make your center tread wear a bit quicker.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool tire pressures

I tend to agree, but I never had a tire wear as fast as the 200 I could always get 10-12K out of the OEM 150 on my RK and RG, maybe the tire compound is softer ? Guess it's jst the way it goes. . . . rather replace than take a chance. the front still looks great and I do a lot of front brake. . . . I do NOT think 2# will make that big a difference in wear, but it might.

JMHO

Originally Posted by cpiad
He's got a 200 mm tire in rear...so....manual says 36/42....but 42 will make your center tread wear a bit quicker.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been using nitrogen in M-35 & Dakota R/T for several years and like the results. Maintain psi & smooth ride top of list. My '09 Black Beauty HERITAGE came with Dunlops and tires say 40 psi. maximum cold.@ both 'em. I keep all vehicles at maximum psi stated on the tires. Don't seem to have tire problems for years.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 02-28-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: FLSTFB - A Tire Pressure Discussion