Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLSTFB - A Tire Pressure Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I always run at the very least 40 and 40 in my tires. Of course I don't have a springer front end either.

Drew

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a "max cold psi" rating on the sidewall of every tire... since there are now so many after market tires available for almost all makes and models of bikes, most, if not all, motorcycle tire manufacturers now recommend running their tires within a couple pounds of "max cold inflation psi" to get the top performance out of the tire. The psi listing in the owner's manual is only meant for OEM tires based on an average rider and that person's average riding style... of course adjustments need to be made for the variables of the person/persons riding. ie two up... tour pack weight... day rides vs touring.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie D
I'm running what the book recomends, but I put Nitrogen in mine and the pressures don't seem to fall off at all. last ride was 12-31-10 and it has been covered with the tender since . . . . . it's a Michigan thing.
+1. I worked at a cryogenic shop and always used nitrogen gas (N2) in my bike/car tires. With N2 gas there is no fluctuation in pressures when hot/cold and better MPH from what I have read on the net. Just can't find it here in this area

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool tire pressures

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
+1. I worked at a cryogenic shop and always used nitrogen gas (N2) in my bike/car tires. With N2 gas there is no fluctuation in pressures when hot/cold and better MPH from what I have read on the net. Just can't find it here in this area
Most of the Car Dealers have the option now, some charge, some don't, I am lucky, mine does NOT charge. . . . so far I haven't noticed any better mileage, but sure is nice to not have to check it every week, this Michigan weather fluctuates some much, that it is hard to keep up . . . .spring is only 21 days, on the calendar at least. . . .
JMHO

Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Recommended Pressure

If you don’t know the proper inflation air pressure for your tires, what do you do?
Easy. Check at one of the following places on your vehicle:
  • In the vehicle owners manual.
  • On the vehicle’s door jamb. (Often, a vehicle information placard is located on the door jamb along with the recommended tire inflation pressure.)
  • Inside the fuel hatch filler flap. (In some vehicles.)
  • The glove compartment door. (In some vehicles.)
    • But NOT on the tire. The inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall is only the maximum tire inflation pressure. In most situations, the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire inflation pressure is shown on the vehicle placard. However, on some older vehicles, the recommended pressure listed by your vehicle’s manufacturer may be shown as two numbers: One for city speed driving and normal load and one for highway speeds and/or maximum capacity vehicle load. Be sure to inflate your tires to the recommended inflation pressure for each type of driving situation.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...pressure-tips/

Last edited by Faast Ed; 02-27-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool tire pressures

Faasted is correct as to where to find the info, but I would add the these are just that; ' RECOMENEDED ' Different pressures for different conditions, as has been noted in previous posts. It has not been mentioned that tube type tires are different from tubless . . . .

JMHO

Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Willie D
Faasted is correct as to where to find the info, but I would add the these are just that; ' RECOMENEDED ' Different pressures for different conditions, as has been noted in previous posts. It has not been mentioned that tube type tires are different from tubless . . . .

JMHO
Good point about "recommended". different conditions, weight etc cause a need to adjust from those numbers.

I have yet to see legitamate recommendations to run at max sidewall pressure.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't exceed the maximum pressures listed on the sidewall.

To figure out the proper pressure, you really need to take it's temperature. The purpose of proper air pressure is to get the rubber in the proper temperature range. Too cold or too hot and the tire won't stick to the road as well. Too hot will also accelerate wear.

Reduce the pressure to increase temperature; increase pressure to reduce temperature.

This is why increasing the pressure helps get more mileage out of a tire. But don't increase it so much that the tire doesn't get warmed up enough.

This also means that it is all dependent on how much weight you are hauling, the kind of riding you do, the ambient temperature.

But most of us don't have a tire pyrometer. In general, the 10% rule will get us in the ballpark. The idea is that the difference between cold and hot tire pressure is about 10%.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a local service tech's advise - guy with Harley-Davidson training certificates all over the wall - I run 40 and 40 on my FLSTC. The ride is smooth and steady, not harsh or bumpy. Harley's manual recommendation is always low. His experience shows that the tires wear faster at lower pressure, generating sales for the Moco. Hmmm

Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Trey Hogger
On a local service tech's advise - guy with Harley-Davidson training certificates all over the wall - I run 40 and 40 on my FLSTC. The ride is smooth and steady, not harsh or bumpy. Harley's manual recommendation is always low. His experience shows that the tires wear faster at lower pressure, generating sales for the Moco. Hmmm

My FLSTC must be different than yours. It don't like 40 in the front.
Maybe I am too picky. I don't like feeling all the tiny imperfections in the road.

Trial and error, forming your own opinion, is sometimes better than taking one man's word and considering it golden.

Quick Reply: FLSTFB - A Tire Pressure Discussion