Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe wheel help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM
mori55
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe wheel help

My 05 Deluxe front profile wheel is starting bubble the chrome around the spokes.
Thinking of going with the 21"- 18" front rear combo . I saw a combo with DNA For around 700.00 or replace the front the front with a new stock profile wheel for about 450.00.
Tough decision for me as I really have worked hard on the old school look.
I also am pissed that my front rim started screwing up. I wax them keep it in the garage and don't drive it in the winter after they salt the roads.
What do u guys think ? I'm sure if i just change The rims and take off the bags I'll be close to that SoCal look., I also have the air/fx air ride. The handle bars are wildones.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...5/d7410f6c.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...5/6c8769bc.jpg

Last edited by mori55; 02-25-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am going for the old school look, and my rims have started to pitt around the spoke area, so I have just ordered new profile rims, but direct like for like replacements as i want to keep the 16'' look, i've thought about the 21'' but it just doesnt work for me, I have done some research on the profile rim and it seems that the early ones were prone to doing this, infact the replacements that I ordered have a different part no. still chromed alloy though, which is not a good combo.
When I get my new ones I will strip my old ones down and get the hubs and rims powdercoated black, and rebuilt with polished stainless spokes, that way I have a different look if I fancy a change.
I've also bought a spare paint set for my Deluxe and cant make my mind up whether to go for the skunk look or chrome yellow which I saw at the stealers on a Heritage the other week, my Deluxe is Vivid black at the moment.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

Mori
Does the chrome front bumper rail thingy fit straight on the Deluxe?, or are there any mods needed, cant see from your pics but do you have the rear on fitted too?
Cheers

Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 AM
mori55
Tourer

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Mori
Does the chrome front bumper rail thingy fit straight on the Deluxe?, or are there any mods needed, cant see from your pics but do you have the rear on fitted too?
Cheers
I have the front and back on and they fit perfect. The only thing I didn't do was drill a hole in the rear one at the bottom of the fender. Didn't want to put a hole in it . I just cleaned the inside of the fender and gooped it. It's held up for 3 years, plus the top bolts hold .
I'll probally just get the stock Wheels . Back looks good but might as well replace it.
I might see if I can make them tubeless , saw a kit on eBay .
Are you better off getting just the rim and having it laced or just buying the whole wheel with hub and new bearings for about 425.00 or so?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mori55
I have the front and back on and they fit perfect. The only thing I didn't do was drill a hole in the rear one at the bottom of the fender. Didn't want to put a hole in it . I just cleaned the inside of the fender and gooped it. It's held up for 3 years, plus the top bolts hold .
I'll probally just get the stock Wheels . Back looks good but might as well replace it.
I might see if I can make them tubeless , saw a kit on eBay .
Are you better off getting just the rim and having it laced or just buying the whole wheel with hub and new bearings for about 425.00 or so?
Check the softail parts classified section there is a set of 2009 Heritage Profile laced wheels with tires and polished rotors asking 625 .00 shipped. Lots of pics look mint.The ad was posted on 02-17-11 by member Golfblues. Sorry dont know how to attach a link.The only thing you would have to do is change the bearings.Good Luck

Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM
mori55
Tourer

Thanks for the link! Just wondering if they fixed the problem they had with these wheels and if they did what year? Hate to buy a used set and have this happen in a year.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mori55
Thanks for the link! Just wondering if they fixed the problem they had with these wheels and if they did what year? Hate to buy a used set and have this happen in a year.
I heard as well the older ones had some issues. The ones in that post were off a 2009 I am sure they are the newer version

Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

I would bet that they are later ones if 2009, I personally wouldnt buy used ones, as theres too many variables.
I too only really desperately need one wheel, the front is not as bad as the back, but will be changing both.
2 New wheels are just short of £900, supply only,
I've had a quote to take my wheels apart rechrome the rims, build them back up with polished stainless spokes... £380,
The price I had quoted to me to replace the rims and spokes, if memory serves was £700 ish,
Like I said I'm going with 2 new ones so that I will have a spare pair to go down the black route.
They tell me black is the new chrome.

I gotta get me some of them fender rails.