Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

football to round a/c cover, not Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM
marcuswelby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default football to round a/c cover, not Stage 1

Guys, without going Stage 1 and investing in hi-flow and fuel management, can the stock oval filter be replaced with a round K&N that will take a nice round a/c cover? Would like to shed the football, but don't want to invest in Stage 1 yet. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Great Gazoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...I would think any change to the stock ac would affect air/fuel mixtures at which point you'd require some form of fuel management system or update. Pipes on the other hand can be changed without having to worry about fuel management...

Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Karsten
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the round cover requires a different backing plate than the football shape. I just recently switched out the stock A/C with K&N filter for the SE high flow backing plate/filter and chrome cover.

Karsten

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

From what I have read unless you swop your backing plate to a higher flow you are good to go on just changing your filter.
b

Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM
NY_Ken
Intermediate

Something like this, a used complete Crossbones AC assembly may do it for you. Not sure if he still has it but its cheap and you may be able to put a different cover on it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...er-set-up.html

Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
1SG_CFP
Advanced
Default Just get the filter

Here's a football, with a K&N round behind it mounted to a chrome screaming eagle filter backplate.

You don't have to change anything else if you just want more air. The chrome backplate is $45 and the filter is about $65. More air, more power.

I do have a V&H fuelpak, but that's needed because of the true duals, and V&H ovals.

Attached Thumbnails football to round a/c cover, not Stage 1-footballk-and-n.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:31 PM
TheNameIs"B"
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1SG_CFP
Here's a football, with a K&N round behind it mounted to a chrome screaming eagle filter backplate.

You don't have to change anything else if you just want more air. The chrome backplate is $45 and the filter is about $65. More air, more power.

I do have a V&H fuelpak, but that's needed because of the true duals, and V&H ovals.
**STOP** More air without more fuel= more heat. Do not attempt the above without a fuel controller.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the OP, to answer your question completely we need you to add a signature line, telling us about you scoot, or at least tell us the year and model of scoot you have, in your post.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM
dfndr
Road Master

I used Fuelmoto SE round kit-$159, Xied-$100, ebay a/c cover-$30. Works great, sounds good. I can't do photos.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
watchluvr4ever
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TheNameIs"B"
**STOP** More air without more fuel= more heat. Do not attempt the above without a fuel controller.
Not entirely true. It's not like you are giving it a big increase in air flow. The stock system will adjust itself in that case. The sensors will handle it if adding either slip ons or a high flow ac but not both at the same time. There are plenty of discussions on this forum regarding this subject.

Quick Reply: football to round a/c cover, not Stage 1