Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
The Black Lift
16.85%
The Yellow Lift
20.22%
Neither, they're both trash!
62.92%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Motorcycle lift table jack stand "POLL"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 AM
aquaelvis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-po...ift-99887.html
I picked up the HF high position lift today, on sale for $179 and I had a coupon for an extra 20% off that. Seems like a good unit.
My question for those who use it; it seems the shocks hang down lower than the frame on mine. When I try to position the lift arms they are always ending up under some part of the shock. Is everyone else's like this? Would be the same for all lifts, the floor jack style lift would do the same thing.
Thoughts?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do that on all Softails. Some use the plastic rails HD sells.
Others have glued another layer of rubber on the support arms where the frame rests to gain enough clearance so the weight isn't on the shocks.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
They do that on all Softails. Some use the plastic rails HD sells.
Others have glued another layer of rubber on the support arms where the frame rests to gain enough clearance so the weight isn't on the shocks.
Be careful with those plastic adapters. Mine separated....top from bottom part, and the bike almost came down. Made me decide to get the lift table.

So I separated each one, top from bottom, cleaned all the stickum off (looked like some sort of double faced tape), and re glued them together using some good 2 part epoxy.

Test your adapters-take one and try and twist the orange rubber part from the black plastic part. Try and pull them apart. If they give at all, move a tiny bit, I would re glue them. With your 650 lb + scoot sitting on them, any bit of 'off square' pressure between the part wrapped around your frame, and the flat part sitting on the jack, is multiplied far more than you can put on them in your hands.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaelvis
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-po...ift-99887.html
I picked up the HF high position lift today, on sale for $179 and I had a coupon for an extra 20% off that. Seems like a good unit.
My question for those who use it; it seems the shocks hang down lower than the frame on mine. When I try to position the lift arms they are always ending up under some part of the shock. Is everyone else's like this? Would be the same for all lifts, the floor jack style lift would do the same thing.
Thoughts?
I'm able to position the lifts forks so that the rear fork is directly behind the rear of the shocks. The forks of the lift aren't making any contact with my shocks. In fact I was able to roll under on a creeper and completely remove my shocks to install lowering bolts, then re-installed my shocks.

My bike's a 97 Heritage Springer, so maybe the configuration of our bikes is different enough that it don't work for you. But I'm curious as to what happens if you place the lifts rear fork directly behind the rear of your shocks?

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 03-24-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's a pic showing where I place the forks of the HF high position lift. It's actually easy for me to find the same position every time. I just bump the lifts front fork up to my kick stands leg, and position is perfect.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Earl IV
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
+1 on the J&S its hands down the best jack out there
+2 on J&S

UPS just delivered my 90lb package today

Old 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J&S is built in the US.

This is a no brainer.

I'm ordering one June 1st.

It seems like a good, solid, well build lift that won't leave me wondering if my bike is coming down on me while I work, it's not as pricy or bulky as a table lift, and I get to support the people that live and work and buy other things here in my own country instead of sending money out of the country and hurting our economy.

Win win.

I won't have as much cash left over to buy more junk made in china to put on my bike, but I think there's value to waiting and saving and buying quality stuff made in the US ONCE instead of junk made elsewhere that I won't really be happy with and might have to replace.

That's my philosophy though.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate bending down... I drink beer when wrenching

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle lift table jack stand "POLL"-scoot-on-lift.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 AM
lumberjacker
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you decide on a lift table over a jack this is my take on that.

my buddy has this harbor freight lift table, http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-91764.html.
IMHO it is a POS.the harbor freight lift is not very sturdy and it pushes the bike forward when it lifts. you need much more room in the shop for it because when you load the bike on it and lift it, the bike is not lifted straight up, it travels forward. it also isnt very will built. i wouldnt put my softail on it. he had his vintage norton fall off last winter while working on it.
every bike shop you go into they have handy lifts or direct lifts.
i have a direct lift and i love it. if you plan on working on your bike for a lifetime dont scrimp here, buy a direct lift or a handy lift. you wont regret it....
thats my 2 cents worth.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

The HF lift does not push the bike forward. It actually moves it backwards. So NO, it does not require ANY more space. Mine is rock solid with baggers on it. If your friend had a bike fall off of one, it was his own fault for not securing it correctly, or using the POS wheel vise it came with. I park on mine daily, and I rarely strap it down when doing work on it, even at full height.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle lift table jack stand "POLL"